hand pinching when weight lifting how to avoid?

Options
deup
deup Posts: 129 Member
k so i have a slight problem. when i am barbell lifting the skin particularly at the joins over lap and pinch. hurts when i am lfting a bit heavier then what i am used to. or for longer reps.. is there a way to avoid this ?

Replies

• Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use good quality lifting gloves. I do data entry for a living and don't want to tear up my money makers!
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    What exercises are you referring to? Or just every exercise?
  • deup
    Options
    just about every excercise. deadlifts, squats with barbell. things i have to grip.. i not sure if it just becuase i may have entra padding on my hands lol but seems it pinches just where the knuckles are. where the fingers fold over the palm.. if any of this makes sence.
  • deup
    Options
    i was thinking of gloves but i not sure if that would salve the problem or not.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Do you notice you have a weak or lose grip?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Gloves will help but your primary problem is that you're holding the bar incorrectly. You're trying to grip the bar with the fat part of your palm (like baseball bat) but what you're supposed to do is place the bar much lower in your hands. Place the bar at the very end of your palm, just before your fingers. Directly over where you're feeling the pinch and the calluses are forming.
  • deup
    Options
    no my grip is pretty firm. 90% of the time. take a crowbar to pry it out of my hands lol.. i didn't think about the holding position of the bar.. i wil have to try that thank you /
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Gloves will help but your primary problem is that you're holding the bar incorrectly. You're trying to grip the bar with the fat part of your palm (like baseball bat) but what you're supposed to do is place the bar much lower in your hands. Place the bar at the very end of your palm, just before your fingers. Directly over where you're feeling the pinch and the calluses are forming.

Yup.+1
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    and don't wear gloves, have a pair.

Just work on keeping the bar where it needs to be in a proper grip, with the bar seated right where the fingers meet the palm.

Then realize that sometimes it's just gonna hurt. A heavy deadlift isn't going to be comfortable. you'll get used to discomfort.
  • Freedm16
    Freedm16 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    and don't wear gloves, have a pair.

Just work on keeping the bar where it needs to be in a proper grip, with the bar seated right where the fingers meet the palm.

Then realize that sometimes it's just gonna hurt. A heavy deadlift isn't going to be comfortable. you'll get used to discomfort.

Well said!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i wear gloves. i believe i have a pair.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    i wear gloves. i believe i have a pair.
    lulz.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    deup wrote: »
    k so i have a slight problem. when i am barbell lifting the skin particularly at the joins over lap and pinch. hurts when i am lfting a bit heavier then what i am used to. or for longer reps.. is there a way to avoid this ?

Time to grow man hands.