In Need of inexpensive, healthy recipes

Options
Sleeper1962
Sleeper1962 Posts: 8 Member
Hey y'all! I'm on a pretty tight budget and am trying to eat in a more healthy way. I have finally gotten on the "make my own lentil dishes" bandwagon. I'm not a vegetarian, but tend to use meat more as a part of a dish rather than something to eat all by itself. So... Is there an inexpensive food that I have missed? Also, if any of y'all have a cheap/inexpensive recipe (or one that goes far) that is nutritious I surely would appreciate it. I do enjoy lentils, however I now have in my freezer: Lentil loaf, Lentil and turkey kielbasa stew, & Italian chicken and lentil soup... Soooo.... I'd like to avoid lentil overload. lol

Ideas?

Replies

• SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I find so many healthy recipes on Pinterest. I stockpile them on my Healthy eating board and then print them off as I use them. I cook for one so I'll make an entire recipe and freeze what I'm not going to use that week.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Sure. Here is my $1.58 lunch I tend to have to once or twice a week.

2 cans of tuna fish
    1 fork

Check out the dried bean selection in the ethnic area of your grocery store. I switch up lentils, black beans, pinto beans if I am feeling adventurous.

and like BFDeal says. I should buy stalk in chicken breast. Is chicken stock even a thing?
  • kali_athena
    kali_athena Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy beans, try black beans. Black bean soup, homemade black bean burgers, salad with peppers, the beans, and corn....

Meat can be reasonably priced especially if you re only going to use a little. Chicken drumsticks (remove the skin), cube steaks, and ground turkey are all lean and very low cost in my area.

If you are looking to bulk up recipes cheaply but with lower calories, the fresh whole carrots are very low cost as are onions, frozen spinach, and frozen green beans.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    check out budgetbytes.com for healthy cost effective recipes. she lists the prices of the ingredients in each recipe, and they're simple dishes as well, usually only a handful of steps.
  • Sleeper1962
    Options
    Thanks you guys! Wow! All good ideas. I definitely need some recipes that are modified to use frozen veggies instead of fresh (except for the inexpensive ones, of course, like onions & carrots. Oh! And another response has come through too. Cool! I really appreciate this! :)
  • Sleeper1962
    Options
    Checking out budgetbytes!