White Rice Vs Brown Rice

Options
So I made white rice for the first time last night - took hardly anytime to cook, and I was wondering if there is much of a difference health wise vs White rice against the Brown Rice as in nutritional content.

In addition to cooking faster I can put more back without feeling full as quick or as bloated when done - which is great for me because I suck at bulking

- literally gaining like half a pound to a pound a month here... :'(

Replies

• MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    what prompts the question is my girlfriend knows I'm a fit freak so she was teasing me for 'cheating' & going to the white side... rice wise

she is Hispanic :wink:
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The white vs. brown rice thing is absurd. There is such a small difference in nutritional value, so just eat what you like.

I personally LOVE Jasmine rice.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Jasmine rice is what goes with garlic right?!

I may give that a try!

and thanks for the prompt response.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I never had it with garlic. It's a Thai rice with almost a nutty aroma. Very sweet tasting.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Per 100g (coooked):

White: 130 cal, 0.3g fat, 28g carbs, 0.4g fibre, 2.7g protein

Brown: 111 cal, 0.9g fat, 23g carbs, 1.8g fibre, 2.6g protein

In terms of micros brown rice has more magnesium and potassium but otherwise there are minimal differences.

Aside from a bit more fibre, there's not really much difference.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    In general: as long as it's real rice and not minute rice there's not a lot of nutritional difference. That said, if you choose brown rice, and choose whole wheat bread (i.e. choose the healthier among two) throughout your day and throughout your diet the nutrients add up.
    On a bulk? I have no opinions as to which is more preferable.
  • cwlsr
    cwlsr Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I will keep it short! If you like all types of rice then spend $20.00 and buy yourself a rice cooker. You just put in rice and water or anything else you would like to cook with it. After that just push a button and It (cooker) will let you know when the rice is ready to eat. One of the most valuable cooking items in any kitchen.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cwlsr wrote: »
    I will keep it short! If you like all types of rice then spend $20.00 and buy yourself a rice cooker. You just put in rice and water or anything else you would like to cook with it. After that just push a button and It (cooker) will let you know when the rice is ready to eat. One of the most valuable cooking items in any kitchen.

Agreed.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    White rice - tastes better and nutrients are better absorbed by your body!
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    As a past rice addict... white rice may be considered slightly less healthy, although there is a huge hubbub about brown rice being healthier.

When it comes down to it... manage your portions and work it in your daily calories :)
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    cwlsr wrote: »

Yeah share an apartment with the younger bro, and he just got one :smiley:
    Makes life simpler - and less expensive - rice is cheap and bulking is expensive
  • Solkre2
    Solkre2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use brown rice because it has a lower glycemic index. I think I'll be reducing my rice intake and doing more beans though, since they have higher protein and an even lower GI.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Brown rice gets pulled over by the cops more for no reason. Other than that there's not much difference right?

Ha!
  • mburks
    mburks Posts: 2
    Options
    My husband is Philipino - so its kind of taboo to eat brown rice with Philipino food. Plus it really hurts by tummy. The pain of digesting this food is very hard on my system. I make Jasmine rice and I only use a small dessert bowl to eat the rice. All the rest of the vegetables and meat is using a regular bowl. We found smaller bowls and they are a live saver for me. I eat what makes me feel good. Foods that makes my belly hurt, head hurt, back hurt, etc. I don't eat. Eat what makes you feel good.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    To me the biggest difference is that brown rice is more filling and has slightly fewer calories so it's generally used as bro food for cutting. I prefer white rice most of the time.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Brown rice apparently has more fiber and some more nutrients, but I just can't stand the taste or texture. I eat good quality jasmine or Basmati rice in limited quantities. If you are a fan of rice, it might be a good thing to buy a rice cooker as it times itself, is always correctly done and it never burns, and so forth. No more ruined pots and smoky kitchen if something takes your attention away lol!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's irrelevant.

Eat what you prefer inside your calorie goal.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    You can't make sticky-rice with brown rice. I rest my case.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You can't make sticky-rice with brown rice. I rest my case.

[/thread]