Warrior Dash Training

Options
I have signed up for a warrior dash that is in 3 months. I've ran several 5ks but never one with obstacles. I know it will require tons of upper body strength of which I have zero. Do any of you have any advice on how to start training my upper body strength? I can bench press 60 pounds (yes I know that is not much but I'm working to increase it) my concern is that I cannot do a single pull up, and just hanging there trying to do one isn't making it happen!
Does anyone have experience on going from not being able to do a pull-up or climb a rope to being able to do say 10 or 20?

Thank you so much for any advice!

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'd do bench, overhead press, and rows with increasingly heavy weights. Also, you should look into You Are Your Own Gym (Body By You) - it's body weight training and one section has you work up to unassisted pull-ups. 3 months might be tough... do you have much weight to lose? It's easier to pull up less weight, right?

Also remember that climbing a rope is a lot of leg too. You might not have to do a full pull up by then if you create a "Chair" for your feet. It's more holding yourself in place as you lock your feet around the rope at a higher position and then walking your hands up.

Of course, being able to do a full pull-up would in now way hinder you ;)

I should probably add that I can't do a pull-up so... I'm not experienced. But I feel like if you work out the muscles, it'll happen.

I'm also thinking you might want to work on your hand grip if it's not strong.
  • mcalhoun79
    mcalhoun79 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I would like to lose about 30 pounds. I feel like that is not helping at all. I will check you the Body by You!
  • mcalhoun79
    Options
    I only saw the first part of your reply. Yes grip is a huge problem for me. I very much need to work on that!
    I'm just excited for a new challenge that will get me to focus more on a problem area for me!
    Thank you so much for your advice!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    If you have a pull up bar, get the resistance bands for assistance. Definitely work on grip strength; a lot of the things you need to pull yourself over are slippery from being wet and muddy. Starting a body weight strength program or a beginner lifting program wouldn't hurt either. Also make sure your endurance is up to par. It's one thing to be able to do the obstacles; it's another to last the length of the race. I'm not sure what Warrior Dash is, but the Tough Mudder and Spartan races I did were both 12 miles.
  • mcalhoun79
    Options
    Oh wow. No way could I do 12 miles! I consistently run 4-6 miles on trails and on rough terrain so I *think* I can handle the endurance part. I know these obstacles will as a whole new level to that though. It is 3.3 miles with 12 obstacles. From pictures I've looked at about 3/4 of them require pulling yourself over something. Terrifying for Ms. Weak muscles over here!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A lot of these obstacle races end up being short runs followed by a wait for your turn on the next obstacle. The running part is not that difficult because of it.

You've gotten some good suggestions so far. If you have access to a climbing rope (my gym has one that is perpetual and can be set to be weight-assisted to get people started) try to use it. Same for a pull up bar. One way to help build up to being able to do a pull up is to start with your chin above the bar and slowly lower yourself to hanging. You'll be working the same muscles, just in reverse. Then, if you don't have access to an assisted bar (there's one of those at my gym, too) get a friend to help you by taking some of your weight until you can do one or two pull ups. Keep building up from there.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing a Warrior Dash race in 4 months. There are training plans for Warrior Dash training on the net. Check it out.
  • RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think warrior dash is more of a fun race than a strength based one. I did one last year and it was tons of fun and mud, not much running (too slippery and hilly). If you come to that cargo net tube though, go through on your back and not your knees (ouch!). Yes, you will need to pull yourself over things but they are at an incline so it's not bad. Try going to a park and climbing over things.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hey are you doing the one in Amity? I've been thinking about signing up for that one!
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've done a warrior dash, and it was a blast. I trained more for the run than the obstacles, and I made it through the course with a decent time. I had to pull myself over a muddy hill with a rope, climb a pretty tall rope net, and scale a wood panel climbing along knotted ropes. I'd say those were the most difficult upper-body obstacles. I will warn you that the course is a hot mess, the later the day gets. Everything is muddy, and everyone is falling all over themselves after so many waves have run through. Good luck, and have fun!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    mcalhoun79 wrote: »
    I have signed up for a warrior dash that is in 3 months. I've ran several 5ks but never one with obstacles. I know it will require tons of upper body strength of which I have zero.
    I think you're overestimating the physical demands of the warrior dash. I ran it the last 2 years and the difficulty of the obstacles dropped dramatically between the 2 races. Honestly I think my mother who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis could have completed last year's race (walking obviously). I would instead focus more on endurance training and doing hill repeats. Best of luck.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The Warrior Dash obstacles are not meant to be difficult. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about any of them.

IMO, training for a Warrior Dash basically amounts to training for a 5K. To develop better overall fitness, I suggest training for something slightly longer with better obstacles, such as the Savage Race.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    I have signed up for a warrior dash that is in 3 months. I've ran several 5ks but never one with obstacles. I know it will require tons of upper body strength of which I have zero.
    I think you're overestimating the physical demands of the warrior dash. I ran it the last 2 years and the difficulty of the obstacles dropped dramatically between the 2 races. Honestly I think my mother who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis could have completed last year's race (walking obviously). I would instead focus more on endurance training and doing hill repeats. Best of luck.

Ditto! I've done one and I have no upper body strength. They're a lot of fun, but not really about strength. Also, the one I did had people helping you with the hardest obstacles (if you needed it). Don't stress yourself and have fun!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. No way could I do 12 miles! I consistently run 4-6 miles on trails and on rough terrain so I *think* I can handle the endurance part. I know these obstacles will as a whole new level to that though. It is 3.3 miles with 12 obstacles. From pictures I've looked at about 3/4 of them require pulling yourself over something. Terrifying for Ms. Weak muscles over here!

It'll be a good intro to the world of OCRs then! I didn't run all 12 miles. I knew I wouldn't run the whole thing going into it, but endurance has always been my weak spot so I had to make sure I could last the whole race.
  • KristaPerseveres
    KristaPerseveres Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You can handle the Warrior Dash with what you're running & doing now. As far as working on pull-ups, try using bands for assistance, that's what I'm doing, I'm down to 1 band and can manage a couple without. My trainer also had me use the rope to help me build upper arm strength too. You can lay on the floor and using your arms pull yourself to standing and then using your arms lower yourself back to laying on the floor. Either way, the Warrior Dash shouldn't pose you much issue if you're currently running (even though there is a lot of waiting around) and working out. Good luck!! Have fun!! :-)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    unless you're doing the race completely solo, you'll have team mates and people on the course helping you up and over the obstacles. and if you fall or can't make it up an obstacle, no big whoop. smile, dust yourself off, and go around.

as your first obstacle course race, you're going to learn what they're really all about. i'm sure your first 5k you probably ran too fast, or didn't pace yourself the right way or something, right? same here. you're going to figure out what it takes to do the races, and what you're weakest at.

btw, a friend of mine once suggested to do hanging leg raises to help with grip and core strength.
  • mcalhoun79
    Options
    Awesome!! thank you everyone for the great responses! I feel much better now! I'm soooo excited about it. I've always wanted to do one, but I didn't want to do it alone, and now a group of people from my town have decided to do it together. I really think it is going to be a blast :smiley:
    Asherah29 wrote: »
    Hey are you doing the one in Amity? I've been thinking about signing up for that one!

Yes I am!!! We are signed up in the 2:00 wave!
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! thank you everyone for the great responses! I feel much better now! I'm soooo excited about it. I've always wanted to do one, but I didn't want to do it alone, and now a group of people from my town have decided to do it together. I really think it is going to be a blast :smiley:
    Asherah29 wrote: »

Yes I am!!! We are signed up in the 2:00 wave!

Good luck! Maybe I will see you there! Haven't decided to sign up yet because I'll be alone and its like a 3 hour drive for me.

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First, don’t stress too much about the obstacles. Most of the climbing is set up where you can use your legs to assist. And there will be plenty of other runners out there helping you succeed (especially if you’re running with a team).

Second, your training should focus on overall body strength. If you focus on compound movements and/or functional movements you’ll be in much better shape for what’s in store. The running isn’t a biggie because you’ll spend time “resting” while you wait in line for each obstacle.

And keep in mind, if there is an obstacle that you feel uncomfortable (i.e., unsafe), you can always go around it. In fact, if you can’t swim well, I’d advise you to bypass the water entirely.
  • mcalhoun79
    Options
    Thank you so much!!!