Question About Weight Loss/New Workout Correlation

Options
pixelatedsun
pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Good morning everyone! I have a quick question.

Over the past few days, I've started trying to get my 10,000 steps in with my new Fitbit Flex. I've been managing wonderfully well so far, but have noticed that my weight has been slowly creeping up. This morning, it was at 320.6, and Friday - the day I got the Fitbit - I had weighed in at 318. (yesterday, it was around 320 even).

I know that I had some high-sodium days over the weekend, but I've been drinking 8+ cups of water a day and staying under in all macros, as much as possible - I don't think I've gone over in calories in weeks, the only macro I overdo is occasionally sodium. (my last high sodium day was Sunday, though).

Additionally, I'm supposed to be menstruating right now (according to the app I track it with on my phone), but it's not here yet - my guess is that the 22 days of recent diet change and now exercise change have thrown my cycle for a loop.

So my question is, is this weight gain the past couple of days pre-period bloat, or is it because I recently added a whole bunch of movement (ie: going from what was probably 2-3k steps to 10k) into my routine? Should I be eating more, perhaps? (Fitbit tells MFP I'm burning 600+ cals a day, and I eat anywhere from 1200-1500 depending on the day, I haven't ever been one to "eat back" burned calories).

I just want to come into the end of the week understanding, if I HAVE gained Friday morning, why it's happened so I'm not discouraged and into quitting.

Thanks, MFP rock stars!

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

So my question is, is this weight gain the past couple of days pre-period bloat, or is it because I recently added a whole bunch of exercise into my routine? Should I be eating more, perhaps? (Fitbit tells MFP I'm burning 600+ cals a day, and I eat anywhere from 1200-1500 depending on the day, I haven't ever been one to "eat back" burned calories).

I'm going to go with the pre-period bloat, but it matters what kind of exercise you're doing. If you're just getting more steps in with walking and daily activity, it's probably not water retention in muscles. It's definitely a real thing, but a lot of people find it only comes along with strength training and high intensity type workouts.

ETA: What is this "radical diet" you're on??
  • pixelatedsun
    Options
    "Radical diet" was poor word choice - radical departure from my old fast food, casual dining lifestyle, but not anything actually radical. Just calorie counting.

And no, it's just more steps - I'm not doing any additional exercise right now, with my sedentary desk job it's an effort for me to get in 10,000 steps - just doing that alone is a challenge still!

I just hope the period comes soon, then, because this is torture - I've got the acne and the mood swings, so it should be here! Boo.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    It may very well be due to your cycle. Also, weight tends to bounce around like that often. I’ve seen my weight go up as much as 5 lbs from one day to the next (usually not that much, but I’ve seen that a couple times). It’s just fluid moving around and getting held onto. Stick to your nutritional goals and it’ll come right back off. Keep on rocking it!

Allan
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    "Radical diet" was poor word choice - radical departure from my old fast food, casual dining lifestyle, but not anything actually radical. Just calorie counting.

And no, it's just more steps - I'm not doing any additional exercise right now, with my sedentary desk job it's an effort for me to get in 10,000 steps - just doing that alone is a challenge still!

I just hope the period comes soon, then, because this is torture - I've got the acne and the mood swings, so it should be here! Boo.

Oh, okay. If you're sure you're eating less than you burn, I wouldn't worry about it. Just wait it out till you start.

• pixelatedsun
    Options
    I'm burning ~600 a day, and my diet intake is anywhere from 1200-1800 depending on the day (due to my size, I get 1800 calories but I rarely eat that many because I find myself eating such filling food during the day).
  • pixelatedsun
    Options
    So I guess I'm not sure if I should eat more than, say, 1200, because I'm burning 600 and I don't want to be sitting at "just" 600 cals/day? I wasn't sure if that might contribute to my I'm gaining weight, or if that's really just related to water weight from pre-period bloat.
  • pixelatedsun
    Options
    Gentle bump
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    So I guess I'm not sure if I should eat more than, say, 1200, because I'm burning 600 and I don't want to be sitting at "just" 600 cals/day? I wasn't sure if that might contribute to my I'm gaining weight, or if that's really just related to water weight from pre-period bloat.
    You shouldn't be eating just 1200. If MFP gives you 1800, you should be eating 1800 or thereabouts plus 50-75% of your exercise calories. (I'm not sure whether your Fitbit steps would count as extra exercise or if they'd be factored into your activity level).

• pixelatedsun
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    You shouldn't be eating just 1200. If MFP gives you 1800, you should be eating 1800 or thereabouts plus 50-75% of your exercise calories. (I'm not sure whether your Fitbit steps would count as extra exercise or if they'd be factored into your activity level).

There are some days I eat over 1200, and some days I'm just stalled out/not hungry. Tonight, for instance, I'll be lucky to hit 1200 because I've just had a chaotic day and haven't had much time to eat. What is the nutritional detriment to me there? I don't want to force 600 calories down my throat that I don't want to eat just so I hit the right proportions - I'm genuinely satiated.