Sick more often?

Options
Ok another random thread from me.

Is anyone else getting sick more often now that they are smaller? It's getting ridiculous here, every 3 weeks it seems I end up with headaches and generally just feeling exhausted for a few days. I sometimes manage to get some kind of workout in (basically some stationary bike) but most of the time, I'm just too tired for it (and can't seem to be able to nap either, I just turn and turn and can't fall asleep).

I was NEVER sick before losing weight. Ok I have two kids in school now so it probably doesn't help (they are never sick however). But still. I never lose my appetite unfortunately so it doesn't exactly help in that aspect either... then it takes me 3-4 days to get back in the groove and get good workouts again. Then just when I start having good workouts again... I get sick again!

Just wondering if I'm alone in this... Multi vitamins don't seem to help and I eat a ton of fruit and veggies. Hmph. Something else to add to the list of things I have to ask my doctor about next time I see her (but my bloodwork is fine so I don't know).

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    No I haven't noticed any of those things. I'd definitely mention it next time your at your doctor, just to be safe.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Are you undereating still? If I don't eat enough calories a and workout I get run down. I take vitamin c twice a day, that seems to work.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Are you undereating still? If I don't eat enough calories a and workout I get run down. I take vitamin c twice a day, that seems to work.

No, been maintaining for 6 months.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    In general, I am sick a lot less often since I started exercising regularly and taking impeccable care of myself.

This year is an exception though--the flu shot this year really didn't cover much and it has been a terrible year for colds.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I would go to a doctor and get a physical. Maybe your Iron is low or Vit D level.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that I am not getting sick as much as I used since I am working out more and eating better. I would check with your doctor. I hope you start to feel better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    No, since I overhauled my diet 2.5 years ago, I've been sick exactly twice...I used to get sick all of the time. I personally credit this to a much more nutritional and balanced diet and regular exercise regimen. Also, I was vitamin D deficient and take supplements for that, so I'm sure that helps as well...Vitamin D is very important to your immune function.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've been sick more lately but it is not due to my diet.
    I know I was a lot sicker when I had kids in school
  • ramseyarose
    ramseyarose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    vitamins and lots of dark green veggies and WATER! Eat clean not packaged stuff. My house hold is almost never sick.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Even if your kids aren't getting sick, they are each bringing home germs from all of the kids they come in contact with.

My husband and I don't have kids and we're almost never sick. We stayed 4 days in a house with three grade-school-aged children. I left with a rotten cold; DH left with the flu. Little bustards are like rats carrying the bubonic plague.

Other than that, I haven't noticed getting any more or less sick in the last... oh, 20 years at varying weights :)
  • LuckyShimmer
    LuckyShimmer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The same goes for me, although I'm still uncertain if its from eating 1200 cal (or less) per day or stress and a poor sleeping schedule.
    Sadly, I don't know how to help, but I'm hoping you'll get better soon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking it's probably the kids indeed, lol.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No, I can't agree with that, since I got fitter I haven't had any aches, pains or colds/flu's in over 2 years :) (touch wood that I am not tempting fate now I've said that lol) I believe because I'm very active now that my body perhaps fights infection better?
    I used to get siatica in my hip and leg and every winter a really bad cough - both, never happen now!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not sick more often and I do feel a lot better. My son's pediatrician yesterday said it has been an exceptionally bad year in the Northern US for long term 'sicknesses' like flu, colds, GI stuff, etc. Nothing to do with weight.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Nope. Actually getting sick less often, no more migraines, leg pain, and no dull aches and pains everywhere.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Go have the exact same conversation with your doctor, s/he should have you take a blood test.

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I get sick waaaaaaay less than I did before. Unless you're kids are bringing it all home to you, you might want to consult a doctor.
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I actually have noticed the same thing. I have been sick 3 times since Thanksgiving and I generally get sick only about once a year (when I was 27 lbs heavier). Not sure if my weight loss is the reason or not, but I also have 2 grandchildren and my son and his wife living with my husband and I and that may also be the reason.. not really sure.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have not been sick since I began on MFP 3 years ago (knock on wood). I am, however, cold almost all the time. I guess the excess fat kept me warmer ;)