mind over matter

Options
So I am new to this calorie tracking deal. I am a 33 yr. Old mother Of 4 . I started taking garcinia cambogia 60% hca with potassium , have 1 meal replacement shake at lunch with jay robb vanilla whey protein, and i do taekwondo3-4 nights a week and go to the gym for weight training. My problem is never feeling full! I try to drink water but I like flavor so it can be hard. It is definately a mental battle so if anyone has tips on healthy snacks im all ears! I eat oatmeal or eggs for breakfast and i try to have protein at every meal. Snacking in between is my downfall! i am about 167 pounds and need to lose 30 pounds. I have seen the inches come off my arm and legs and slowly off my stomach, bit i need to lose weight and not see the scale go up! I know muscle weighs more than fat but any advice on how to gain muscle and lose fat while making the scale go down is fabulous! Thanks!

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If the scale isn't going down, you're eating too much.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options

^^ NO!!!!!!!!!!!

a) open your diary so people can give you more accurate advise

b) how many calories/day are you eating?

c) IGNORE THE SCALE, especially if you're losing inches and doing strength training
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Long term, i would agree, but it would appear the OP is new, so starting with the basics is better.

OP, do you log your calories? If not, you should start. If you don't have a food scale, then you should pick one up for accuracy. And TKD will not build new muscle. Also, drop the garcinia, it's wasting your money and has been proven ineffective. If you are hungry, I suspect you aren't getting enough protein and fats.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Long term, i would agree, but it would appear the OP is new, so starting with the basics is better.

OP, do you log your calories? If not, you should start. If you don't have a food scale, then you should pick one up for accuracy. And TKD will not build new muscle. Also, drop the garcinia, it's wasting your money and has been proven ineffective. If you are hungry, I suspect you aren't getting enough protein and fats.

Agreed, however, keep in mind that (per your words in your OP) you only need to eat to feel satisfied, NOT full. Wanting that full feeling is probably what led to some weight gain. You do not want to feel full especially with the activity you do. You just need the right quality food / fuel to give you enough energy.
  • teknosprite
    teknosprite Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    As far as wanting flavor in drinks, I drink flavored seltzer water (not the kind with the fake sugar flavoring tho) and it helps me drink more water. Like soda but water!
  • robynbonugli
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! I started doing heavy weight training about 2 weeks ago along with some hiit and martial arts. I gained weight due to a pregnancy with my now 19 month old son and due to problems during pregnancy i couldnt exercise and it didnt help that i craved sweets. I have recently started calorie tracking and i have roughly 1360 calories per day and i stay away from junk if i can help it. I am also trying to stay away from starchy foods as well. I have taken up strength training, hiit, and calorie tracking as a result of not losing pounds. I however have definitely lost inches. I appreciate anyone taking time out to make suggestions for me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    First, you don't need the garcinia cambogia stuff (waste of money). Second you don't need meal replacement shakes (eat real food, it keeps you sated longer). Finally, just eat at a deficit and you will lose weight.
  • robynbonugli
    Options
    Also In the 16 months i have been taking martial arts i have heard mixed things about when to take protein and if i should eat after working out even if at night.......anyone have that answer?
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy = maintain/build muscle
    Cardio = aerobic endurance
    Calories = fat loss / Gain

Here I a basic overview of how it all works.
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/
  • robynbonugli
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    First, you don't need the garcinia cambogia stuff (waste of money). Second you don't need meal replacement shakes (eat real food, it keeps you sated longer). Finally, just eat at a deficit and you will lose weight.
    The shakes I am drinking are real foods such as spinach berries almond milk and a scoop of whey protein.....is that still not ok? It actually made me full for a long time....which is a first!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    The shakes I am drinking are real foods such as spinach berries almond milk and a scoop of whey protein.....is that still not ok? It actually made me full for a long time....which is a first!

It's fine if it keeps you sated. I prefer chewing and eating mine and found tossing it in a blender added too many calories for the "bang".
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I prefer soylent green to shakes.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    This is just something that I am trying and finding successful, make a large, 1scoop protein drink with water and sip on it during the day along with water. It takes the edge off hunger better than straight water, and gives your protein intake a boost.
    Eat your lunch as food instead of a protein shake.
    Dump the cambogia.

Cheers, h.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Personally, shakes dont fill me up and the calories add up quickly. I do much better with eggs or oatmeal w/ protein powder. Heck for about 300 calories i can have 2 eggs with 6 egg whites cooking in 2 tsp of olive oil and some chopped red pepper and onion. Its large amounts of fat and protein so i am full for about 2 hours lol.

And sometimes i add a greek yogurt and bacon to round things off.