Oh my aching knees...help

Options
I bought an eliptical rider for home use and have been trying to use it for a couple of weeks now but it is killing my knees. I can barely do 10 minutes at a leaisurly pace and that includes stopping momentarily throughout to let the pain ease up. Is there anything I can do to try and help this?? Please no rude remarks. I already know I am out of shape and that all things take time. I am just looking for advice on ways to help reduce the pain or ways to help strenghten my knees so that I can continue trying to do better.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals are designed to take the impact out of the equation and therefore be knee friendly. I’d go see a sports doctor and see if there is a tear or other issue.
  • flysandy
    flysandy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree a trip to the Dr. to get checked out is a good idea. This should NOT be high impact to your knees. Stationary bike (or real bike) and swimming might be great alternatives in the mean time if you have access to them (these are the least impact for knees). Hang on to that elliptical, I'm sure you know it'll be a great calorie burner when you can use it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ellipticals are designed to take the impact out of the equation and therefore be knee friendly. I’d go see a sports doctor and see if there is a tear or other issue.

Pretty much that, see a doctor if it's the pain is that bad.

You did indicate that you're out of shape, so it could just be deficiency in how you move and it may not having anything to do with "impact" there are other ways to hurt your knee that don't require impact or force.

It's not unlikely that your hip flexors and hamstrings are overly tight and that your hamstrings and glutes are underdeveloped which cause internal hip rotation or even cause your foot to overpronate or go flat which is not good for your knee. Consider seeing a doctor, but if not do some things to strengthen your Core (includes your glutes) and your hamstrings and of course, stretch. **Edit: Even if you do go see a doctor you should do these things anyway.

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Yep, doctor visit required. Elliptical shouldn't cause knee pain.
  • kbare85
    kbare85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's been stated above. Also make sure that you're wearing good supportive shoes. Athletic shoes wear out surprisingly fast.

Hope your knees start feeling better fast!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I used to have some minor knee discomfort when I was heavier and it was attributed to my shoes and possible getting an insert. As I've lost weight I don't notice the knee issue to the same degree that I did before. Also I am religious about taking joint supplements because I do a lot of high impact plyometrics and I notice if I skip my evening dose for a couple of days I can feel it.
  • Victoriamrs
    Victoriamrs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters check with your Doctor first make sure there is nothing serious going on. I don't use those trainers because like you I felt the strain on my knees but I think it was because I was using my knees to push rather than my feet if that makes any sense. Swimming if you can is great as it would be low impact. When I work out at the gym or go for a brisk walk I wear knee supports you can buy them in any pharmacy.

Hope you get it sorted soon good luck!
  • LadyGrey75
    LadyGrey75 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. My mother reminded me that I use to have trouble with my knees back in my teens when I tried to play softball. I ended up having to stop playing because i kept getting fluid on my knees and would have to have them drained... don't know how I forgot about that, getting old I guess LOL! @Sam_I_Am77 So I guess I need to get it checked on but I have been playing around with some Yoga, would that help the core, glutes and hamstrings????
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    LadyGrey75 wrote: »
    Thank you all so much. My mother reminded me that I use to have trouble with my knees back in my teens when I tried to play softball. I ended up having to stop playing because i kept getting fluid on my knees and would have to have them drained... don't know how I forgot about that, getting old I guess LOL! @Sam_I_Am77 So I guess I need to get it checked on but I have been playing around with some Yoga, would that help the core, glutes and hamstrings????

Well if you had issues with fluid on your knee then you probably should see a doctor, and probably most specifically get a referral to a Sports Medicine doc.

I must admit my understanding of Yoga is limited. It seems that Yoga is very good for flexibility, so that will help with any flexibility limitations. It also seems like there is some potential to improve Core strength as well. You can probably discuss this with your Yoga instructor and see what he/she thinks.
  • LadyGrey75
    LadyGrey75 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks!