Substitutions that are healthy and yummy - I miss chips and crackers:(

Options
sw0312
sw0312 Posts: 30 Member
So today I just ate my Sara Lee multigrain bread (45 cal a slice - love it!) with turkey (60 cal), spring mix lettuce (20 cal), chipotle low cal mayo (35 cal), a sharp cheddar slice (70cal) and avocado (30 cal) for a total of 305 calories. For a yummy sandwich that is not too shabby. What are missing are the chips!!! I so miss the crunchy, salty taste of chips and crackers with a sandwich. I even tried veggie straws but they have virtually no veggies in them and are 130 cal for 20 sticks and it is not worth it. I like plain rice cakes and have broken those up but if anyone has a miracle substitution I would love it! Also, post your substitutions that get you by.

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Pickles. Very low calories but you still get crunchy and salty.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Actual veggie sticks (carrots and celery) with salt.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Popcorn. Otherwise, I eat the chips I guess.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love Quest chips, but I know a lot of people don't, and they're not as cheap as regular chips, but they totally do it for me... but I'm not really the type who really loves chips (sure, I used to eat the whole bag, but I have more of a sweet tooth).

Otherwise, you could try pop chips or those special K popped crackers or something.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I love Quest chips, but I know a lot of people don't, and they're not as cheap as regular chips, but they totally do it for me... but I'm not really the type who really loves chips (sure, I used to eat the whole bag, but I have more of a sweet tooth).

Otherwise, you could try pop chips or those special K popped crackers or something.

Are the Quest chips lower in calories?
  • susansmoaks
    susansmoaks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i like pop chips and boomchicka pop
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    120 calories for a bag but 21g of protein.

Or popcorn maybe?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Did you make the sandwich at home? I'd suggest making your own chips. I have one of those microwave chip makers. They work great! Also kale chips.
  • mz107
    mz107 Posts: 16
    Options
    I love the skinnygirl lime and salt popcorn!
  • successgal1
    Options
    OP didn't say unhealthy, just calorie dense with little nutrition.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,251 Member
    Options
    *looks down at lunch plate*

Ummm... chips are just fine to have. Not seeing the issue.
  • RachelSueMobley
    RachelSueMobley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pretzels. 18 Rold Gold Tint Twists are only 110 calories.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Thinly-sliced jicama with salt? Maybe some red pepper or chili powder? Jicama is THE BEST. I also like the pickle idea.
  • successgal1
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    *looks down at lunch plate*

Ummm... chips are just fine to have. Not seeing the issue.

Then you didin't read well.
  • sw0312
    Options

SuggaD wrote: »
    Did you make the sandwich at home? I'd suggest making your own chips. I have one of those microwave chip makers. They work great! Also kale chips.

I did make it this morning before work and that is a great idea I will have to look into the chip maker!
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've taken to subbing kale chips for potato chips lately. I buy Brad's raw food brand from Kroger, but you can easily make your own too. Another thing to consider is buying baked chips or eating a cracker like triscuits (although they aren't low calorie)
  • sw0312
    Options
    I just eat chips. Why do you think they are not healthy?

When I make a wonderful sandwich with great flavors and healthy ingredients for 305 calories it is pitiful to see that 20 veggie sticks is almost half of those calories not to mention other higher calorie chips.

I want to stay within my calorie allotment without blowing it on 20 measly veggie sticks - no pleasure in that lol!
  • sw0312
    Options
    mz107 wrote: »
    I love the skinnygirl lime and salt popcorn!

I will have to try that!