Has anyone had the Gastric sleeve surgery?

Options
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the gastric sleeve or any other weight loss surgeries. My mom had the gastric sleeve in May, and she's since lost almost 100 pounds. I'm very worried about her b/c she has surpassed her goal weight and keeps losing. She still barely eats and says she gets full really fast. She's not worried, and her doctor tells her it will eventually even out, but she is still currently losing 3-5 lbs/week right now and it's NOT slowing down. :( I'm so proud of her for getting healthy again, but I can't help but worry about when her weight loss will slow down and level off. Anyone have any experience that can give me a peace of mind?

Replies

• naomirhh
    naomirhh Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    One of my friends got the slimband , and what the doctor is saying should be accurate. She should get to the point where her body is realizing how much food it actually needs to maintain itself, and although it may not seem like she is eating a lot right now, also keep in mind that her body will be getting most of its energy from the fat she is losing.

How long has she had the sleeve?
    (edited for phone autocorrect)
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It's been about 8 months now. Thank you :)
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Weight loss should level off after the first 12 months. She should also be slowly increasing the amount of food her sleeve can hold--it starts off at about 1/4 cup per "meal" and by 1 year should be around a cup per meal. If you are concerned about her health/what she's eating, maybe you could ask if you could attend her next meeting with her nutritionist with her?
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) She lives in a different city, but she goes back to the dietitian in March so I will definitely catch up with her on what she says.
  • kaferrell
    kaferrell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi. If your mom is getting enough nutrients, is feeling well and the doc isn't worried, she is fine. Her weight loss will slow down, her portion sizes will increase a little and the variety of foods she can eat will expand (probably). I am 2 years out from surgery and I still get full quicker than I did pre op, but not nearly as fast as the first year. If her doctor is doing good follow up with her, rest easy!
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    jesus christ.