Quick Snacks!

Options
Quick and easy, low-calorie vegetarian snacks, with protein to keep full? I generally have fruit or yogurt, but still end up feeling unsatisfied. Any ideas?

Replies

• MelissaHopeG
    MelissaHopeG Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I buy tempeh from trader joe's. It comes in a strip and as soon as I get it I cut into into 4th's and put in the fridge. One 4th is maybe a 120 cal's or so? Can't remember off-hand but its in the database, and is fully of healthy carbs & protein!
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Veggies and hummus! I buy a bunch of veggies (carrots, red bell peppers, and cucumber are my faves) and cut them up all at once so that they're ready. I also make my own hummus, but they also sell single-serving packs of veggies and hummus at the grocery store if you don't want to do it yourself.

Edamame. Get it frozen in-shell or already shelled. If you're watching sodium go for unsalted.

Have some peanut butter or almond butter with your fruit, seems to help me.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    baby carrots
    cucumber slices
    animal crackers (16 are 120 calories)
    natural cheetos (30 are 150 calories)
    pretzels
    strawberries
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Nuts, I find them very satisfying. If you're worried about over-doing, you can always portion them into individual servings.

I also recommend keeping instant powdered hummus on hand. Is it as awesome as from-scratch hummus? No, but very convenient, and you can make as much or little as you like.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I do nuts and dried fruit, either mixed varieties or cranberries/almonds or cashews/raisins/sultanas. I do a 25g- 30g/1oz portion. If i mix it myself i do half nuts and half dried fruit.

I keep hardboiled eggs in the fridge.

Babybels, string cheese are good.

Apple slices with peanut butter

Ryvita or crackers with soft cheese and cucumber with black pepper.
  • MelissaHopeG
    MelissaHopeG Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Veggies and hummus! I buy a bunch of veggies (carrots, red bell peppers, and cucumber are my faves) and cut them up all at once so that they're ready. I also make my own hummus, but they also sell single-serving packs of veggies and hummus at the grocery store if you don't want to do it yourself.

Edamame. Get it frozen in-shell or already shelled. If you're watching sodium go for unsalted.

Ooh, do you have a recipe for making your own hummus? Always have been curious to try!
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Ooh, do you have a recipe for making your own hummus? Always have been curious to try!

I usually use this one and halve the tahini (just my taste): http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/ethereally-smooth-hummus/
    I've been known to add roasted red pepper, or jalapenos, or nutritional yeast, or roasted eggplant. And I have definitely been known to skip the peeling step, although it doesn't really take that long.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Crunchy

Tossing rinsed and dry kale leaves with 1 tsp. of olive oil and then baking in a 300 degree F oven for about 20 minutes, or until they are crispy creates a satisfying, earthy-flavored chip. Dust with salt or nutritional yeast to add flavor with minimal calories. Air-popped popcorn contains just 31 calories per cup. Try tossing with 1 tbsp. of Parmesan cheese or truffle salt or spritz with a bit of cooking spray and top with 1 tsp. of brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. Tear three nori sheets into three strips and coat with brown rice syrup, sesame oil, cayenne and course salt and then bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F, flipping once, for a sweet and salty treat with 44 calories per strip.

advertisement

Sponsored Links

Green Tea with Citrus Sit Back, Relax & Enjoy Nestea®'s Delicious Green Tea. Try It Today! www.facebook.com/nestea

Dips

Hummus is a go-to vegetarian snack, but commercial versions may contain almost 100 calories per scanty 2-tbsp. serving. You can create a bean dip without the calorie-dense olive oil and tahini by processing together canned chickpeas, garlic cloves, white wine vinegar and roasted red pepper in a food processor. Eat a 38-calorie, 2-tbsp. serving of this dip with endive leaves, carrot coins and celery sticks. For another quick, low-cal dip, blend together low-fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, fresh dill and chopped scallions. Use 1-oz. of baked chips or rice cakes to scoop up the mixture.

Smoothies

Commercial smoothies may be high in calories, but you can control the contents when you make them at home. For a sweet smoothie, blend together half of a frozen banana, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 scoop of soy protein powder and 1 cup of soy milk for a filling snack with 265 calories. Substitute blueberries or peaches for the strawberries and hemp protein for the soy if you prefer. You can also make savory smoothies with a combination of cucumber, romaine lettuce, parsley, tomatoes, lemon juice and spinach leaves for minimal calories.

Soup or Salad

Modest servings of vegetarian salads and soups make tasty, satisfying snacks. Create a vegetable soup by heating vegetable broth and adding quick-cooking vegetables such as peas, broccoli and diced squash for a low-calorie, comforting snack on a cold day. You could also toss together raw baby spinach with the segments from one orange, ½ tbsp. of slivered almonds and 1 tsp. of olive oil mixed with red wine vinegar for a 200-calorie, nutrient-rich option. Mix ½ cup of quinoa with chopped pepper, ¼ cup of black beans, fresh cilantro, lime juice, ground cumin and 1 tsp. of olive oil for a heartier salad with 206 calorie