Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT)

I have a form of SVT that is constant. I have read that most instances are sporadic, but my heart beats fast all the time. My doctor put me on beta blockers a few years ago, which have helped tremendously. But as soon as I exercise, my heart rate will shoot back up there, quickly leading to exhaustion. If it's been awhile, I can exercise for maybe 10 minutes at a time. In the past I have built up my stamina. But the one thing I've never been able to do was run.

Anyone else with SVT? What are some tips you have? Feel free to add me, always looking for more friends!

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Did your doctor say anything about exercising?
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    She said I'm okay to exercise. I see her next week and I've got some questions for her and I think I'll add what my target heart rate should be and what my max is.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Do you have access to a cardiac rehab program? I am in a pulmonary rehab program for the rare lung disease I have and it has taught me so much about what is good, what is too much, when to push, when not to, etc... Maybe ask your Doctor?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    I have a friend who found out she has it. She spent years trying to run and struggling. She's a year post surgery and finally back to exercising. She says that within the first month of surgery she felt amazing.
  • aubreyjordan
    Do you have access to a cardiac rehab program? I am in a pulmonary rehab program for the rare lung disease I have and it has taught me so much about what is good, what is too much, when to push, when not to, etc... Maybe ask your Doctor?
    Great suggestion, thanks!
  • crazykatlady_
    crazykatlady_ Posts: 46 Member
    Hey! I have SVT as well. I've had it last a day or two, but never constant. I hope your doctor can figure out something to help you because I cannot imagine living with it nonstop. I get pretty dizzy and tired from most of my episodes, but they are quite sporadic and normally don't last more than 15 or 20 minutes. Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'm not going through quite the same thing, but I can relate on a smaller level. :-)
  • LGCinTexas
    LGCinTexas Posts: 1 Member
    I had SVT and finally had a cardiac ablation done last March. My episodes were getting more frequent and longer and in the danger zone according to my cardiologist (230+ heart rate for 2 hours or longer).

Best thing I ever did!! Finally got off the beta blockers and felt so much better. Am down 50 pounds and never again have to worry about an episode. I know it's a scary procedure but you may want to speak to your cardiologist to see if you are a candidate. Much better than forever on the meds in my opinion.
  • aubreyjordan
    LGCinTexas wrote: »
    I had SVT and finally had a cardiac ablation done last March. My episodes were getting more frequent and longer and in the danger zone according to my cardiologist (230+ heart rate for 2 hours or longer).

Best thing I ever did!! Finally got off the beta blockers and felt so much better. Am down 50 pounds and never again have to worry about an episode. I know it's a scary procedure but you may want to speak to your cardiologist to see if you are a candidate. Much better than forever on the meds in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing! I will ask my doctor about that.