Dress doesn't fit :(

Options
13»

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    hlo9603 wrote: »
    It's not too awful. It just only zips up to a certain point. I appreciate everyone's comments and I will more than likely just have it altered. I hate to do that because the dress was already so expensive but this is for my sister not me and I need to tell myself that and move forward. Thank u for the encouragement!!!

Have you tried it with a different bra or no bra at all?
  • hlo9603
    hlo9603 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    kr1stadee wrote: »
    Well, if it was expensive, imagine how sadder it would be to have it not fit, uncomfortable, or in the back of the closet while you drop another small fortune on another dress.

Get it altered. I wonder, what about having a lace-up replace the zipper?

Good luck!!!

Yeah it was expensive and I might be able to do a lace up. I'm going to see a tailor soon.
  • hlo9603
    Options
    @VeryKatie‌ I wasn't wearing a bra
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Your pic reminds me of JWow from Jersey Shore, OP
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Yes have dress altered but meanwhile keep on with healthy eating. You have lost 7 lbs. Bet you can lose another 5!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    And bridesmaid dress sizes are evil. The size they made me order was a million sizes larger than anything I've ever worn in my life. Jerks.

Technically it's the everyday clothing chains that are evil, with their vanity sizing in order to sell more product via flattery. Bridal and bridesmaid dresses use truer sizing, based on how sizes used to be standardized according to US Department of Commerce Uniform Sizing, and closer to the sizing found in sewing patterns.

Whenever you hear that Marilyn Monroe was a size 14, you have to consider that with her measurements, (5'5" tall, 35/22/35), she'd be wearing a size 2 or 4 in today's sizes.
    This is spot on.
  • hlo9603
    Options
    Haha @itsclobberintime‌ I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    And bridesmaid dress sizes are evil. The size they made me order was a million sizes larger than anything I've ever worn in my life. Jerks.

Technically it's the everyday clothing chains that are evil, with their vanity sizing in order to sell more product via flattery. Bridal and bridesmaid dresses use truer sizing, based on how sizes used to be standardized according to US Department of Commerce Uniform Sizing, and closer to the sizing found in sewing patterns.

Whenever you hear that Marilyn Monroe was a size 14, you have to consider that with her measurements, (5'5" tall, 35/22/35), she'd be wearing a size 2 or 4 in today's sizes.
    This is spot on.

Her waist was 22? Dayum
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Her waist was 22? Dayum

Yeah, extreme hourglass. She probably would've had to take all her clothes in at the waist (if she didn't, y'know, have custom-made clothes done by her stylist).
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Oh, a bra might help a lot. Try a properly fitted bra and a trip to a seamstress. Good luck!
  • hlo9603
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »

Oh, a bra might help a lot. Try a properly fitted bra and a trip to a seamstress. Good luck!

The dress has a bra in it and it's strapless so I don't think a bra would help.
  • wmander1
    wmander1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had to cling wrap a friend of mine on her wedding day to squeeze her in! I've been in 8 wedding, dresses are always an issue! You're not alone!
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    To the seamstress with you! She will fix you up. That's how they make their livings -- they rescue bridesmaids from their dresses which never fit even the maids are little bitty size fours. I think it's a conspiracy.

Seriously, the dress will fit. Seamstresses are like magicians. o:) She'll know just how to fix it and you will look beautiful!
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I had the same problem a few summers ago. The whole bridal party was measured & went with the recommended sizes - and guess what? NONE of us fit in our dresses, they weren't even close.

I think that part of the girls-in-matching-dresses-tradition is helping everyone have a sense of humor about the day. I have worn some of the most absurd bridesmaid dresses!

One time it was a black strappy dress cut LOW in front (down to below the boob boundary), LOW in back (to down near the butt), and so, so HIGH on the thigh. Trashy, really. We maids realized we were every size from a 6 to a 14 and we all looked ridiculous walking demurely down the aisle in our hooker dresses.

Take heart, OP! You are not alone in your maid of honor woes.
  • hlo9603
    Options
    Haha thanks everyone! If anything I enjoy the laughs!
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would go bat crap crazy if I was a woman. Men's sizes are in actual quantifiable units of measurement.

Women's sizes seem to be whatever the hell someone feels like that day.

AHAHAHAHAHA so funny
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Haha thanks everyone! If anything I enjoy the laughs!

So update us... how did it go! I am curious. I just ordered a DB dress for September and I am nervous about the size they measured me for. Its the same as my street size and I had thought that its usually 2 sizes up.

Anyways, I was searching for similar posts and found this one. How did things work out? I hope fine.