good foods to gain weight ?

Options
what are good foods to gain weight ?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    All the foodz...but if you're not a volume eater you will need to focus on calorie dense foods.
  • rmyers14
    rmyers14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's calories in vs calories out. To gain weight you need to be in a caloric surplus. Healthy foods will naturally be less calorie dense, so you may need to toss back some higher calorie foods to stay in a surplus.
  • ELiCiT23
    ELiCiT23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Nuts, avocado, steak, potatoes, milk, beef, cheese. Of course, dont eat these all day every single damned day. Mix it up.
  • LipglossandLunges
    LipglossandLunges Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    "good fats" Avocado, Nuts, carbs like couscous, rice, pasta, starches like potatoes :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, chocolate, and peanut butter are a good start.
  • DonnellHensley567
    Options
    Dark chocolate, eggs, peanuts, fast foods, banana and so on... are good foods to gain weight.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    As you can see from above the answer is really any food as long as you eat enough calories and are meeting your nutritional needs.
  • shilpz3
    Options
    but if u eat sweets like chocolate and ice cream and stuff, does it make your body more unhealthy in general, i think thats my problem is that i eat fruits and veggies...but i dont gain any weight
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    shilpz3 wrote: »
    but if u eat sweets like chocolate and ice cream and stuff, does it make your body more unhealthy in general, i think thats my problem is that i eat fruits and veggies...but i dont gain any weight

I think it was a question but you used a comma. The only requirement to gain weight is to eat more than you burn so if you can eat enough fruits and vegetables than you can gain weight. It's a lot harder than eating processed foods like chocolate and ice cream but it can be done. The reason why we recommend a lot of dense calorific foods is because it's just easier to eat a lot of calories with them compared to whole foods, but we definitely recommend that you eat a healthy diet overall.
  • KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You should definitely think about finding some foods that are calorie dense but also nutritionally good for you. I mean, ice cream, candy bars and cake are okay (and delicious), but they don't really have anything to offer nutritionally except for being calorie dense. Avocado, nuts, eggs, oily fish, whole grains, dark chocolate (>70%) beans & lentils, some fruits and vegetables - they have relatively high amounts of calories per serving but also provide you with a lot more nutrients that junk food. They're not just empty calories :)
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Trailmix always does it for me. Yummy yummy easy to just keep grabbing handfuls. Banned from my diet currently, sad to say.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    You should definitely think about finding some foods that are calorie dense but also nutritionally good for you. I mean, ice cream, candy bars and cake are okay (and delicious), but they don't really have anything to offer nutritionally except for being calorie dense. Avocado, nuts, eggs, oily fish, whole grains, dark chocolate (>70%) beans & lentils, some fruits and vegetables - they have relatively high amounts of calories per serving but also provide you with a lot more nutrients that junk food. They're not just empty calories :)

Most of your diet should be in the "healthy" category, if you want to so classify foods, but if you are trying to fill out over 3K calories that gets to be pretty hard. Many people on MFP find that unless they start filling out a portion of their diet with so called junk food that they can never really gain. This doesn't make their diet unhealthy as long as they are meeting all their needs.

When bulking there are no "bad" foods or "empty" calories.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Empty calories? In what way. If you can't keep up your surplus, you will not gain. Don't make it harder than it has to be. The calories in ice cream and cake are what help me reach my calorie goals, they give me fuel for my workouts, they have helped me reach my goal of 3K+ everyday. Without them I would be struggling to eat everyday and hating food, feeling full and hopeless. If I already ate enough nuts, eggs, beans and veggies for the day, there is absolutely nothing wrong with adding some ice cream to hit my goal.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Immediately after surgery it was a struggle to make 1,200 calories a day. On bad days I'd finish off the day with a cup of juice. I went from "diet foods" to calorie-dense foods to meet my targets. As soon as it got easier to eat I stopped the juice.

Lots are mentioned above. Pick foods higher in fat. Nuts are fast and easy. If you like full-fat milk, drink it that way. Add cheese to your sandwiches.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    lashings of olive oil as dressing or for dipping bread and for cooking in, same with sesame oil in generous amounts on stir frys, Nut butters, nuts, dried fruits, seeds, avocados all healthy in there own way and packed with dense cals and all easy to add to your meals.

Then obviously there's things like cheese, pate, pastry, creamy sauces, butter, chocolate that can help get your cals up but some might advise to still eat in moderation. :)

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

empty calories are a fallocy.

Either they help you meet your goals.
    Or they do not.

In gains- there is no such thing as "empty calories" there are high calories- or not.

Someone gaining has abosllutely ZERO concern about "more nutrionoal value" than another food.

why?

because they are getting so much god*amn food as it is they should have a smattering of nutrients and micros- there are no bonus points for extra healthy food in a gain.

Either you hit your suprlus.

Or you don't.

calories are king- nothing else matters (cue Metallica)