Working out seems harder

Options
This is my second week working out (I work out on the max bowflex trainer) and for some reason it feels like it's harder to work out then it was last week. Is that normal? I also try to lose more calories so I go just a bit faster then what I was doing last week.

Any advice or same problem?

Replies

• emma_vdv
    emma_vdv Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's harder because you're pushing yourself harder :) I have a similar problem as I never want a less productive workout than the previous day
  • elenacolette
    Options
    That's what I assume but I wasn't sure if it was just something that just happens haha burning 121 calories in 15 minutes shows something.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're either progressing, or restricting your calories too much?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Under fed and undernourished almost always makes workouts feel harder.

Are you eating enough to properly fuel your workouts?
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you aren't eating enough, your body doesn't have enough fuel to push you through your workouts. You'll do better in the long run by eating more and gaining some muscle mass to rev up your metabolism. Undereating doesn't do you any good.
  • elenacolette
    Options
    That could be it, that i'm not eating enough beforehand. I work out after work at 430p, i have a salad for lunch and breakfast isn't a big thing for me, i only eat yogurt, banana, blueberries that's about it, i have about 10-12 cups of water a day.
  • elenacolette
    elenacolette Posts: 39
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My calories are low by the time i work out, i can't even get to my calorie goal, the most i can get in a day is 1000 instead of 1300.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    The crux of it is finding the balance, you have to match your exercise intensity with your glycogen stores and your bodies ability to supply stored fats. The carbs eaten immediately before a work out can be converted to glycogen at a rate of aprox 1gram per minute. When you exceed available energy you are going to bonk, crash, hit the wall or whatever else you want to call it.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    JossFit wrote: »
    If you aren't eating enough, your body doesn't have enough fuel to push you through your workouts. You'll do better in the long run by eating more and gaining some muscle mass to rev up your metabolism. Undereating doesn't do you any good.

What ????

Are you saying an obese person should eat at a calorie surplus to add muscle mass and gain more weight before they eat at a calorie deficit to lose fat ? That doesn't semi like sage advise to me.

Under eating is how we create a calorie deficit. I hope you mean being in to aggressive of a deficit doesn't do you any good.
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »

What ????

Are you saying an obese person should eat at a calorie surplus to add muscle mass and gain more weight before they eat at a calorie deficit to lose fat ? That doesn't semi like sage advise to me.

Under eating is how we create a calorie deficit. I hope you mean being in to aggressive of a deficit doesn't do you any good.

They said "if you aren't eating enough" so I'm guessing they're not suggesting a surplus but rather a proper amount of calories to fuel their body.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Undereating means eating too little ti fuel your activity. It's not a reference to a reasonable calorie deficit. The OP is eating only 75% of her calorie goal, a goal which already would have her in a deficit if she met it.

OP, it sounds like you need to eat more. How much are you trying to lose per week?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

What ????

They said "if you aren't eating enough" so I'm guessing they're not suggesting a surplus but rather a proper amount of calories to fuel their body.

i interpreted this as well. Although outside of newbie gains no muscle would be built. But a reasonable calorie intake will benefit energy at the gym for sure.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

What ????

i interpreted this as well. Although outside of newbie gains no muscle would be built. But a reasonable calorie intake will benefit energy at the gym for sure.

Oh for...You can build muscle in a calorie deficit. You won't see the gains that you see in a bulk, but it does happen.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9688748
    Combined training (endurance + reisistance) led to increases in muscular strength at the same time as almost 4 lbs fat were lost in 10 wks training (fat is only lost in a calorie deficit) - muscle increase during calorie deficit. (full text not available for free, but there was a significant increase in lbm).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8379514
    Muscle growth during 800 calorie/day diet and 16 kgs lost body weight over 90 days weight training, confirmed by biopsy.

When trying to gain strength/muscle, it is necessary to have adequate, high quality protein. I've seen recommendations between 140 g, to 160 g/day - and that's for women. As long as a dieter is eating some carbs, the body does not start to attack the muscles for energy until body fat is about 5%. Muscle loss during weightloss when protein needs are met happens because people tend to move less when they are calorie-restricted, and the loss of weight means that the muscles are challenged less. The muscles must be challenged to maintain.

To OP. I often find the 2nd week harder than the first. Conversely, I find the first day back after a break (more than 3 days) to be much easier than the last day trained. I think that may be due to nutrition. When I workout regularly, the amount of glycogen in my muscles depletes. When I take a rest, the glycogen builds up. Getting adequate nutrition might give you a little more energy when working out. There are calculators on bodybuilding sites that can give you an estimate on what you should have as a recovery drink to get your muscles re-filled with glycogen for your next workout i.e. total calories, proportion of protein to carbs. Making sure you fuel your workouts is more important than fast scale results. Combining weight training and endurance exercise improves your BMR, which ultimately means improved weight loss. If you are only 2 weeks in to your weight training program, you may see less weight loss due to beginner's water retention.

Progress can stall, though, for no apparent reason. You can try making sure to get enough rest, and managing stress (cortisol can hinder strength gains). I believe that keeping at it helps. I upped my calories a little, and my last workout stall resolved after a couple of weeks with me doing better than I ever had before. Progress isn't always linear.

Keep going. You are doing something great for your body, and it will pay off. Stay strong :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ^^

a) Increased strength and buiding muscle are not the same thing. Meaning link 1 says "people built up strength and lost some weight." They say nothing about building muscle mass.

b) These women were HEAVILY OBESE, while also implementing strength training for the FIRST TIME. So newbie gains (as I already mentioned) and one of the other few circumstances in which tiny amounts of muscle can be added, i.e. when one is overweight. Could very well be that if these women had been training for at least 6 months before going on the deficit they would not have experienced any increases in muscle mass, and this abstract does not seem to indicate that it was an appreciable amount anyways. " during severe energy restriction and large-scale weight loss" does not describe most people and does not describe OP.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough can do that. Also, if you stress your body too much and don't give it time to recover, it can happen.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    ^^

a) Increased strength and buiding muscle are not the same thing. Meaning link 1 says "people built up strength and lost some weight." They say nothing about building muscle mass.

b) These women were HEAVILY OBESE, while also implementing strength training for the FIRST TIME. So newbie gains (as I already mentioned) and one of the other few circumstances in which tiny amounts of muscle can be added, i.e. when one is overweight. Could very well be that if these women had been training for at least 6 months before going on the deficit they would not have experienced any increases in muscle mass, and this abstract does not seem to indicate that it was an appreciable amount anyways. " during severe energy restriction and large-scale weight loss" does not describe most people and does not describe OP.[/quote
    Garthe, I. G., Raastad, T., Refsnes, P. E., Koivisto, A., Sundgot-Borgen, J. (2011). Effect of Two Different Weight-Loss Rates on Body. Composition and Strength and Power-Related Performance in Elite. Athletes. International ... International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2011
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    This is my second week working out (I work out on the max bowflex trainer) and for some reason it feels like it's harder to work out then it was last week. Is that normal? I also try to lose more calories so I go just a bit faster then what I was doing last week.

Any advice or same problem?

How is your diet? Are you eating enough food? What is your macro division?
  • elenacolette
    Options
    I work out Monday-Thursday for 15 minutes on the Max Bowflex Trainer and it really kicks your butt. I don't work out Friday-Sunday unless I have a cheat day and want to make up for it. Yesterday I burned 121 calories in 15 minutes and I was completely exhausted at points where I thought I was going to have to stop.

My breakfasts aren't that great, banana, blueberries yogurt and that's about it. I was 175 last week and now I'm down to 172, I've kicked it up a notch with my breakfast because I definitely am not wanting to go into starvation mode, so I'm having a normal breakfast but with the correct serving size. Example, regular Cheerios, Almond Milk with a cut up banana. I drink at least 12 cups of water a day. My lunch M-Th consist of salad, sometimes I get something else, but mostly it's always a salad (Spinach, carrots, cucumbers, sometimes chicken, peas and light Italian dressing). When I get home it's tough, after I work out I'll have a yogurt with blueberries or something but now that I'm burning more calories I'm more hungry, so for example yesterday was the first day i had an actual meal that consisted of a baked chicken with garlic salt and 1 cup of broccoli and i treated myself to dark chocolate covered raisins.

I'm not a wiz at meals, I'll give you guys that, I'm still learning and honestly, i just don't want to diet wrong and lose too much too fast where it can do damage. I want to lose 1-2 pounds a week if possible FOR NOW and then drop it to 1 pound, if that's too much, please say so.
  • elenacolette
    Options
    I also am starting to get full VERY VERY easily so it's hard to eat a lot throughout the day because I won't be hungry for quite some time.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods if you get full easily. Add butter or olive oil. Avoid anything labeled "low fat". A handful of nuts is a good snack. If you aren't getting enough calories, you're going to get tired more easily.

Also, are you taking rest days from your exercise sessions? Your body needs recovery time.