Dumbbells and Time

Options
NoelFigart1
NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm going to be adding in a dumbbell routine in the evenings. I have time either to swim or do weights in the morning, but not both. I choose to swim. But I want to throw in weight training as well, and just can't stomach hitting a gym twice a day. Hence the dumbbells, since that's what I have in the house.

Anyone else split up workouts so they do cardio in the mornings and weights in the evenings? If so, what does your workout look like and how are you liking the fitness (as in, not a code for fat loss, I mean strength gains and Cardiovascular performance) results? What kind of time do you spend on weight training?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and weight training on opposite days 4 days (2 & 2of each) but I have one day when I do an AM/PM split and one day when I do them both in the morning.

My weight training takes 60-75 minutes and my cardio is about 45 minutes. My main cardio is walking on an incline on the treadmill right now. I was doing a run/walk combo or HIIT but switched due to boredom. I don't feel like either workout suffers from being on the same day.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like to lift in the morning, my body feels "fresher" and squats don't seem as hard as in the evening:) So, 2-3 days/wk I lift early and then I do cardio or a circuit in the evenings 4 days/wk. Each workout is usually between 20-40 min. My lifting routine is based around Stronglifts 5x5, with variations and some auxiliary lifts. On the off days from lifting, I might do yoga, Pilates, or another cardio dvd workout in the early morning. Weekends are for a long run or a longer dvd workout. I haven't made amazing progress with my lifting, but its also not a priority. I love being strong and fit, so I try to get a little bit of everything.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Swimming is great and I wish I had a pool near me. :'( I stick to cross trainer (AM,30 mins) and weight training later in the day (60-70 mins typical). 1 full day off a week.
    The issue is balancing the cardio and weight training. I am moving from deficit to weight gain so I am cutting down on cardio (30-40 mins a day from 60-90) so it really depends on what you want to do overall and what is your priority.
    Doing both is great and how you mix will provide different results. I am far better off now from a cardiovascular sense, but I have not had strength or muscle gains mostly, I believe, because of prioritizing fat loss. that is now changing as well my diet
    What do you want the most at the end of the day?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    To be able to swim the English Channel.

(Hey, you asked...)