Transitioning from day shift to night shift

celeste15
celeste15 Posts: 51
edited September 18 in Motivation and Support
I am starting a new job and the shift will be from 7p-7a. This will be my first night job ever so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on eating habits when you're having to work all night and sleep all day. I'm not sure how hungry I'll be at night while at work but I'm thinking not too much. That leaves coming home at 8am and eating then going right to sleep. Now that sure can't be good now can it??

Replies

• celeste15
    celeste15 Posts: 51
    I am starting a new job and the shift will be from 7p-7a. This will be my first night job ever so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on eating habits when you're having to work all night and sleep all day. I'm not sure how hungry I'll be at night while at work but I'm thinking not too much. That leaves coming home at 8am and eating then going right to sleep. Now that sure can't be good now can it??
  • I used to work night shifts, and I found that I snacked a lot more, rather than eating a big meal in the middle of the night and it helped from getting to tired, and then I was not hungry when I got home in the morning. And then I would eat "breakfast" in the afternoon.
  • TWis1215
    TWis1215 Posts: 3
    OK. I've been working nights for the past year and half. At my last night job, I wouldn't eat anything at night. But since I started working at the hospital, I get more hungrier cause I guess all the running around and then sitting, watching everyone else eat. I do the 7p-7a as well. I don't know any tid bits, but I'm going to start something. Eat dinner before work, bring fruit for snack and a light lunch, and before you go to sleep, don't want to eat too much, so I take in a yogurt. So far, I've lost 5 pounds. SO, I'm hoping this is working. Anyway, make sure you get enough sleep. If you're having trouble sleeping, if you can, turn off all the phones. Also, my husband boarded up the windows with the science boards that you can get in the craft stores, and then put black construction paper over it. Ever since he's done that, been able to sleep very well. I try to go to sleep as soon as I get home and wake up at three and do a light work out like pilates, and days that I'm off, i stay on the night shift routine and wake up at three and do an hour on the treadmill.

My only problem with myself is staying on a routine with the food and exercising, if I could just get that down, I know that I would be able to loose so much more. I just need help with that.

I hope this helps.
  • spearce
    spearce Posts: 9
    :drinker: I have a graveyard job and a day job so my eating habits are still healthy I am just thrown off on the proper times for the moment, I can tell you do not eat before you go to sleep because you don't have time to work the food off properly and do not drink any coffee before you get off work or your sleep will be interupted like waking up in a couple of hours to go pee. Eat something small when you wake up and if you can workout and take a shower and you have the rest of the day to do your errands etc. I hope this helps you, I have been working graveyard for over a year and please get your sleep or by the end of the week you will feel rundown and you can get sick quicker.
  • kimmerlyjo
    kimmerlyjo Posts: 134 Member
    Keep lots of good snacks handy... especially if your job has a snack bar type area filled with junk. I've been working the night shift for about 2 months now with 2 more to go and every night about 10 I just want to eat... Nothing particular just anything that will fit into my mouth. The first week or so I could tell I put the weight back on! Now that I bring good for me snacks and actual prepared lunches (intead of running to BK or Popeyes) I'm back on track with the weight loss! Good Luck!!!
This discussion has been closed.