Fat or low fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    We are to limit our saturated and our trans fats. Coconut oil is popular but it's consumption should be limited.

Better fats are the mono- poly- and Omegas.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fat/art-20045550
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Eatwell140 wrote: »
    I have been working with a nutritionist who works with fitness models and she recommends keeping fat at 20% or less, and to choose your fats wisely...ex. An egg yolk, avocado, olive oil...

For why?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    my thoughts...clean eating and paleo are 100% useless and unnecessary ...

oh, and fats are good ..unless we have magically transported ourselves back to the 1980's...

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    fat won't make you fat. Eating in a surplus is what makes people gain weight.

My diet is approximately 75% fat. I am losing weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fat. You shouldn't eat low fat, but you don't need to eat high fat either. You can eat moderate amounts of fat.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You can create a proper diet plan because your body requires lots of calories. You should eat healthy food so that your body gain more nutrients from your food.
  • clarkegagnon
    clarkegagnon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It is interesting to read all the comments from all the people here....

Me. I eat a high fat diet. like 50-80% of my calories from fat. Feel the best I have felt in years.

You, do what works for you! If you don't like it, don't eat it! Biggest thing I can tell you is more and more people are getting fatter and unhealthier following a mainstream diet. 90% of the people on here are mainstream (that's why it's called that.) Do what works for you, and don't worry about if it works for everyone else or not. Also, may I suggest that this may be the WORST place to ask for advice, most (not all so don't go yelling at me) people on this site on the losing side of a health battle.
  • Jackiesoko1209
    Jackiesoko1209 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been checking the nutrition reading on what I eat everyday. It seems like I m over on fat (saturated) and never get enough protein. Today, I had three eggs total and a salad for lunch, still over. What am I missing?
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I do a high fat diet. All the fat I eat comes from healthy sources though. Avocados, coconut oil, grass fed butter. I've been doing high fat for a few months now.
  • ceashwo
    ceashwo Posts: 2
    Options
    Focus on good fats like mono or polyunsaturated fats. Stay away from trans fat and saturated fat. Don't listen to the latest coconut oil craze, its a scam, coconut oil is saturated fat.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have been checking the nutrition reading on what I eat everyday. It seems like I m over on fat (saturated) and never get enough protein. Today, I had three eggs total and a salad for lunch, still over. What am I missing?
    Being over on fat is o.k. One suggestion is to reduce carbs and sugar in order to increase protein. For lunch add cheese or almonds.

• shamani5
    shamani5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Fat is really good for your brain! Fat is natural, low fat packaged food is not. I eat around 1300 calories daily and have coconut oil almost every day and frequently have butter and avacado. I also have cheese and lean meat (chicken/turkey). Feel free to add me if you want some tips/motivation.
  • sapplejovi
    sapplejovi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of fat it is. If it's fat from a big mac, it's obviously unhealthy. Healthy fats are from like extra virgin olive oil, peanuts, almonds...etc. Its common sense which are good and which are bad. Adding the bad fats into your diet will not hurt you. Cook your food in a healthy fat like olive oil...of course in moderation though. Like someone above said, a calorie is still a calorie so you will have to work it into your diet.