Hard to hit protein goal

Options
ebyla85
ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
:'( ok so I am vegetarian it's pretty hard for me to hit my protein goal . I've been struggling with that I need help with other ways of getting protein . Is anyone else struggling with this ?

Replies

• Pearlo4
    Pearlo4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me too, also veggie, I'm going to google x
  • WestDakota
    WestDakota Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a crazy very-low-carb / high-protein program for 6 weeks, and my daily goal is protein greater than or equal to 120 g. I do eat meat, but still, the ONLY way I achieve this goal is via lots of protein powder. Costco has a (relatively) cheap whey protein powder (in the ridiculous giant plastic tub) that is 25 g protein and only 2 g carb per serving. Leanfit is the brand name. I also rely on protein bars for a snack. Quest Bar makes high-protein bars (with tons of fibre per bar): 21 g protein and 3 g net carbs (total carb minus g of fibre) per bar.
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It is hard, but I find I can do it when I plan the day in advance. Here's a list of protein sources, with a separate list for vegeterians and vegans

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1
  • TingoAcias
    Options
    Nuts, lentils, beans, spinach, quinoa, tempeh... If you eat dairy, dairy.
  • silverbeam22
    silverbeam22 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you have dairy then cottage cheese and yoghurt are great for protein! Also eggs.
    If you're vegan, then soy-based products like tofu are good! I also have ground hemp/flaxseed in porridges and shakes for some extra protein :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Also a veggie. What is your daily protein goal? I can usually hit around 70, eating stuff like yoghurt for breakfast, 2-3 eggs a day, and tempeh in my dinner salad. Nuts are an excellent source of protein, but I'm one of those can't have 'em in the house because I will eat them all people, plus my fat intake is already maxed out from the eggs (trying to source free range egg whites cos I can't bear the thought of tipping a yolk down the sink every day) and the half avocado I insist on eating every day. The bread I eat is also pretty high protein (lots of seeds).

Oh! Nutritional yeast is another handy protein source to give a boost without adding a lot more food, also has lots of iron.
  • shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but the breakfast I have is 3 egg whites and one whole egg and a piece of Lawson's wholemeal bread gives me 22g of protein.

Oats, yoghurt I like the brand Five:AM Coffee flavoured which is 170g for 8g protein, full cream milk 250ml for 8.5g protein and also soy milk is 250ml for 8.3g protein.

Also there's a spaghetti brand called Vetta its high fibre and is 13g protein for 100gs
  • VermontRebecca47
    VermontRebecca47 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I struggle to log even full days but finally did yesterday & noticed a huge protein deficit. I have been using PiYo eating plan for 1lb per wk weight loss goal & when I do this I consciously add lean protein. I printed out a bunch for a clipboard I keep in the dining room & also by the grocery shopping list. I want to avoid processed foods like powders & bars as much as possible. I make a veggie smoothie every day to solve the problem of not getting enough fresh veggies in the winter--now to make sure I have 3 lean protein servings per day... Eggs, non-fat dairy, and tuna or salmon or some other fish work best in my lifestyle.