Exercising for the first time...what should it feel like

Options
I'm very overweight. I have just started doing a beginners abs and upper body exercise programme. It's only 15 mins a day but more than enough for my almost atrophied muscles :( . I have a problem/query I'm hoping someone here can help me with. When I exercise and afterwards I feel the burn in my left side more that my right. It's not uncomfortable. I'm just aware that my left hand side has worked but don't feel that on my right hand side. Is it normal to feel the results of exercise more on one side than the other or might I be doing something wrong?

I also do the Leslie Sansome walk 2 miles and find that my left leg is more tired at the end than the right leg

I'm right handed so do I naturally favour my right side and use it more? Would this explain it?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    As I was reading your post I was thinking you must be right handed.
    Yes, it is quite common to have a weaker and stronger side, and it usually correlates with your predominant hand, especially if you are strongly so.
    You will find as you progress your weaker side will catch up, so no need to worry unduly.
    If you feel as though you have injured yourself at any time, not just a bit if new exercise muscle ache, do get medical advice.

Cheers, h.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, you’re likely stronger on the right side and therefore didn’t stimulate that side as much (in a relative sense).

However, you’re not doing a whole lot of good just working upper body and abs. The muscles are too small to make a meaningful impact on your fitness, health, or weight loss. Instead, find a good beginner full body workout. Start slow, and push to progress in duration/sets, time under tension, and/or weight.
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for replying. I'll persevere because it's not an injury just the muscle complaining because I've made it work for a change lol.

I'll have a look online for a beginners full body workout.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're working your back as well as your abs. It's just like working out both your left and right side: you want to train evenly. Supermans and IYTL are both great beginner lower back exercises- Google them for complete instructions/diagrams/YouTube videos/however you learn best. Deadlifts are also good, but really benefit more from being weighted. Squats and lunges, leg lifts/clam shells, all good beginner leg exercises.
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes, you’re likely stronger on the right side and therefore didn’t stimulate that side as much (in a relative sense).

However, you’re not doing a whole lot of good just working upper body and abs. The muscles are too small to make a meaningful impact on your fitness, health, or weight loss. Instead, find a good beginner full body workout. Start slow, and push to progress in duration/sets, time under tension, and/or weight.
    Allen is correct. I would concentrate on the "big" muscles. Your hips thighs etc burn more energy that anything else. Because of that I would run if possible or bike. This will burn overall calories to the point that the whole body starts getting smaller. Once that happens I would start working on specific parts of the body.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    it should feel like excellence.