PIzza

Options
I have started to lose weight however me and my partner love pizza. I am missing pizza but I cant justify the calorie intake.

I have hip and knee problems so exercise is difficult and not always possible.

has anyone got any ideas for healthy pizza that me and my partner could enjoy together. I don't think I can watch him eat pizza much more.

Thanks Guys

Ps we can both cook :)

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    What about ordering pizza and just stick to one slice? Or buying pizza by the slice instead of a whole pie?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have started to lose weight however me and my partner love pizza. I am missing pizza but I cant justify the calorie intake.

has anyone got any ideas for healthy pizza that me and my partner could enjoy together. I don't think I can watch him eat pizza much more.

Thanks Guys

how few calories are you eating that you cant fit in half a pizza?
  • hanzibobs931
    hanzibobs931 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    my partner would never go for this and I wont be able to sit and watch him and his freakishly fast metabolism eat a whole pizza. have you found a pizza base alternative that is nice :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Would never go for what? You taking a slice or two and eating it with a huge delicious salad?

Boy gotta learn!
  • ajaycold
    ajaycold Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was on Facebook and ran into a "cauliflower crust pizza!" I want to try it.
    Maybe you could do that...?
  • hanzibobs931
    Options

Thanks Guys

how few calories are you eating that you cant fit in half a pizza?

I eat lots through the day but little and often I also cant always exercise or walk around because of my knees so I try and plan days without exercise and then eat more if I do
  • hanzibobs931
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Would never go for what? You taking a slice or two and eating it with a huge delicious salad?

Boy gotta learn!

I will try that out and see. he don't like sharing... but he will learn that he will not starve :P
  • Sued0nim
    edited January 2015
    Options
    alternative pizza bases that don't quite work are

cauliflower bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cauliflower-crust-pizza

pita bread

your main issue is the amount of cheese and the high fat toppings

me - I like anchovies, olives and mushrooms on my pizza and a crispy sourdough base .. ommnommnom
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    my partner would never go for this and I wont be able to sit and watch him and his freakishly fast metabolism eat a whole pizza. have you found a pizza base alternative that is nice :)

he doesnt have a freakishly fast metabolism...

maybe start thinking about solutions instead of just making excuses?

have half a pizza one day, the other half the next... its really not as difficult as you're makign it.
  • AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I use a pitta bread, a tablespoon of pizza sauce and grate low fat cheese on top if I really can't spare the cals for a real pizza. But mostly I just incorporate real pizza into my daily goal. You need to have some willpower to have a couple of slices instead of a whole/half pizza! That way you don't miss out x
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Just make your own base, I love mine half wholemeal half white (actually just for taste reasons). Use your own sauce so you don't have loads of sugar in it and be careful with the amount of cheese. You can each make a personal one and he can put a pound of cheese on his one
  • hanzibobs931
    Options

he doesnt have a freakishly fast metabolism...

maybe start thinking about solutions instead of just making excuses?

have half a pizza one day, the other half the next... its really not as difficult as you're makign it.

I am. just finding it hard at the moment, but I am getting there,
  • hanzibobs931
    Options
    89nunu wrote: »
    Just make your own base, I love mine half wholemeal half white (actually just for taste reasons). Use your own sauce so you don't have loads of sugar in it and be careful with the amount of cheese. You can each make a personal one and he can put a pound of cheese on his one

I like that I will do that. that way he wont have to share because trust me it is more difficult than it should be to share with him. ha ha ha ha
  • georgiabaggio7
    Options
    You can make a pizza base with low fat greek yogurt & self raising flour. Just 1 cup of each mixed together until its a ball shape (might need little extra flour if wet), and then kneaded out for about 5 mins.

I tried it today for the first time.. and it actually tastes really nice! :)
  • hanzibobs931
    Options
    You can make a pizza base with low fat greek yogurt & self raising flour. Just 1 cup of each mixed together until its a ball shape (might need little extra flour if wet), and then kneaded out for about 5 mins.

love this idea will try this out for sure :smiley:
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I don't understand why you'd bother - that has 620 calories, pretty sure you could knock-up a home made thin crust pizza dough for one that's less

even shop-bought pizza bases will be around the same
  • hanzibobs931
    Options
    after I posed this I looked up the cals. I know I will make my own and just be done with it :P
  • kl_anderson
    kl_anderson Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Thanks Guys

Thanks Guys

Hi, I just saw this and even though you may have found a solution I thought other's may find this helpful
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    A slice of plain NY pizza has about 350 - 450 calories; it's just cheese, sauce and bread. I'm not sure I see the problem.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Papa Murphy's? I love their pizza, the thin crust ones are delicious, and most of those come out around 250 calories/slice. I find I can fit that in easily even at a lower calorie intake, and if I'm at a moderate deficit I can fit two or three pieces (depending on toppings) in along with a big salad. It's tasty, it's real pizza -- I would hang myself rather than try a cauliflower "crust" -- and I get enough of it to be very satisfactory.