Getting started. Unexpected weight gain.

Options
I've been using mfp for about 3 weeks and it's fantastic. It's really helping me understand and manage my intake and exercise. I'd been loosing weight at a steady pace up until about 5 days ago when I, over night, appeared to gain about 4lb. I was mystified not to mention fed-up. Now I've hovered at this new, slightly heavier than before weight. I'm still eating with continued care and exercised quite a bit at the weekend. I'm bedded with a cold at the minute so am unable to walk/ run/ cycle.

I've even emailed the scale manufacturer as my partner, who has been weighing herself as a matter of interest noted a similar, sudden gain of about 4lb at the same time.

Is it possible I've gained weight on this scale due to exercise? I do have quite large legs due to years of cycling. Could I have already gained weight here via walking and the introduction of some running?

Replies

• liebestagebuch
    liebestagebuch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to gain 4lbs of muscle overnight/in such a short space of time. Especially if you're eating at a deficit to lose weight. And to gain 4lbs of fat, you would have to eat an extra 14,000 calories over your daily/weekly total. So no, it's not 'real' weight.

Most likely it's simply water retention, weight fluctuates daily based on what you've eaten (sodium retains water etc etc), if you've suddenly implemented a new exercise regime... I really doubt it's your scale!

Just give it some time and it'll drop off the scale just as fast as it came on. In the meantime drink plenty of water and if fluctuations on the scale make you fed-up, consider taking measurements/photos every couple of weeks too. That way, if the scale doesn't move but you're still losing inches and feeling/looking better, who cares what the scale says??

You could also download a free weight chart app, such as Libra, to document your general weight trend over time, as this is what really counts. Anomalies occur often, but if the line is going down, you're still winning. :smile:
  • toyrobot78
    toyrobot78 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you've helped. I considered water retention - we've all got stinking colds thanks to the kids. Making sure I drink lots of water whilst I'm ill.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    did you move the scales? are they on a hard surface? do the batteries need replacing? do you recalibrate it before stepping on every time?

if you've both put on 4lbs overnight I'd say that was something to do with your scales
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    My scales are sometimes off by 4.4 lbs when the scale isn't level.
  • toyrobot78
    Options
    I'm aware of the level floor issue. Trying it all over our wooden kitchen floor with a variety of results - all of which are at least 4lb heavier than I was 5 days ago. Next job is to change the batteries out. Just to be sure. I'm putting it down, in part at least, to water retention as a result of being ill and not drinking enough.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    wooden floors have a lot of give

have you got a stone or tile floor (where the scale fits inside the tile) or if it bothers you that much you can get a big tile and put it on that I suppose

but once it's there, don't move it around
  • toyrobot78
    Options
    Was just thinking about some sort of plate / tile that I could use as a base. Maybe I should go across the road to the dr and get weighed there before I start to remodel the house. ;)
  • shaun_mossy
    shaun_mossy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have also suddenly gained 4lbs almost overnight and now don't seem to able to shift it again!

Very annoying!
  • toyrobot78
    edited January 2015
    Options
    VERY annoying! Any tips on a good, reliable scale (UK) ? This one seems to vary when moved even a hairs width on a flat surface. Without getting nasa to come and find the ultimate location in my house I can't rely on it. Can I?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    every scale will weigh you different - even the Dr's

I like Salter scales - you rebalance them every time you step on it - they are about £10 on Amazon

Stick it on a hard surface - tbh mine is on lino which also has some movement, but the base underneath is waterproof MDF sheet so it doesn't move much - get a tile if you want

and always weigh first thing in the morning, after you've been to the loo and nekkid