Sweet Potato vs 'Normal' Potato

Options

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Holy Tasty Tubers ,Batman: SWEET POTATO PIE !!!

How can one be human and not love a good Sweet Potato Pie?

Y'all ain't right .. right?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Regular potatoes don't taste good with maple syrup.

Oh, but you are wrong there. Mix up cold mashed potatoes with an egg or two and some finely diced onion, shape into patties and fry in butter. These taste wonderful with a little maple syrup (only the real stuff) drizzled over top.

(My state is #3 in potato production and #8 in maple syrup production so it is inevitable that they meet)

ETA: we also are #1 in cranberry production, almost doubling the production of Massachusetts and yes, cranberry sauce mixed with mashed potatoes is very yummy!

I'm all for salty and sweet, but I can't quite wrap my head around that combination.

I've even had syrup touch hash browns... never cared for it. It must be that coloring my view.

Those potato cakes sound delicious, though.

They are. As a child, this was the standard breakfast the day after a holiday because there were always leftover mashed potatoes, and we called them "potato patties". I still throw in an extra potato or two when I do mashed just so I could have leftover.

To get back to OP, I never could grow to like sweet potatoes. Maybe because they remind me too much of squash, which I also don't like.

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Holy Tasty Tubers ,Batman: SWEET POTATO PIE !!!

How can one be human and not love a good Sweet Potato Pie?

Y'all ain't right .. right?

I love sweet potatoes either baked and eaten plain, or with spicy and creamy additions, but no added sugars.

I must be weird and not human because no matter who makes it in how many different ways, I absolutely cannot stand sweet potato pie LOL.

• AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I love them both, but you can only make pie with the sweet potato. <3

I've had a mashed potato pie before at a restaurant and it was delicious! ;)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I like them both. *shrugs* I have a zillion ways to prepare them without adding much fat.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have never really cared for sweet potato, but I recently tried them chopped and seasoned with cumin and chipotle chili powder and then fried in a pan. Changed my life!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I bet you could cut the oil and they would still be fabulous. I will be making them. I have low blood sodium and love salty things. Thank you!

spray oil *nods* to self

What on earth is a butter bud?

I have no idea. I just oil/salt and bake. Doesn't need anything else.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Eatwell140 wrote: »
    The sweet potato is lower on the glycemic index than the white potato, meaning it doesn't spike your insulin as much.

Even if this were true (I didn't check, because who cares), it would be irrelevant once you add the rest of the meal, even for those for whom small differences in glycemic load (not index) might matter, i.e., not most of us.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I use russets (white potatoes) for my daily drivers, But I endulge in sweet potatoes (they taste like dessert to me, and cost more) sometimes.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I had the same question, but chose not to ask, because I have a feeling I don't want to know.

I like roasted potatoes (and sweet potatoes) with just a touch of olive oil. If in the mood for butter, I use butter.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    cranberry sauce mixed with mashed potatoes is very yummy!

Hmm. I don't mash potatoes that often anymore (I like the skin, but not in mashed), but I have all these cranberries and no idea what to do with them. Maybe I shall try this.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Butter Buds are butter flavored sprinkles to put on food. There's a small amount of real butter in them, but they're mostly made of maltodextrin, butter flavoring, and sadness.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I had the same question, but chose not to ask, because I have a feeling I don't want to know.

I like roasted potatoes (and sweet potatoes) with just a touch of olive oil. If in the mood for butter, I use butter.

I looked it up, it's dried butter flavoring you can shake on your food. Not appealing at all.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    The reason sweet potatoes are preferred over white is usually the glycemic load. White potatoes will usually cause a sharper spike in blood glucose than sweet.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I bet you could cut the oil and they would still be fabulous. I will be making them. I have low blood sodium and love salty things. Thank you!

spray oil *nods* to self

Butter Buds are these really awful fake butter things that come in packets like instant coffee. You mix them with hot water and end up with a sauce that is supposed to taste like butter but doesn't even come close. I remember them from the 70's.

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

You can make pie from anything. :D

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/pie/white-potato-pie.html

6wmjylqu6mwq.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »

6wmjylqu6mwq.jpg

That's... cake... in a pie pan. It's a LIE!!!! It's potato cake!!!!!

• Laurend224
    Options

6wmjylqu6mwq.jpg

Heresy!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    The reason sweet potatoes are preferred over white is usually the glycemic load. White potatoes will usually cause a sharper spike in blood glucose than sweet.
    Nope, sweet potatoes have more overall calories because they have more carbs and sugar, with slightly more fibre.... either are fine.

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

6wmjylqu6mwq.jpg

That's... cake... in a pie pan. It's a LIE!!!! It's potato cake!!!!!

LOL...Here's one with crust. Maybe that qualifies it as more of a pie. The burnt part makes it look a little unappetizing though.

qfcaifmtgbyo.jpg