Question Regarding Fruit

Options
Hello, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have to ask. Fruit appears to have sugar contents, and from what I've read (not extensively), they cannot prove whether it is "white sugar" sugar or another kind of sugar. Can fruit make you gain weight like, say eating candy and pasta and bread? Somebody told me once when I was eating grapes that they will make you fat(?!) This just can't be true. Can it? Thank you for you help.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    the only thing that can make you gain weight is eating more calories than you burn off regularly over time

sugar is not the devil, in any form
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Anything can make you gain weight if you are in a calorie surplus. :) Fruit, or any other food when eaten in a calorie deficit won't make you gain weight.

So, eat the grapes. And unless you have a medical reason to limit, or track your sugars, you don't need to. A couple pieces of fruit a day WILL put you over the MFP sugar limit.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Those damn grapes always get a bad rap.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i once read that because of all the good stuff fruits have, such as vitamins and fiber, that in essence, it "cancels out" the sugar content.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its calories just like other food.
    Drs are less worried about fruit because you get extra vitamins and minerals plus fibre.
    The sugar release is slower.
    They tend to be quite good value for calories.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ^ What the above posters said--Well, most of them anyway. There's absolutely nothing wrong with carbohydrates or sugar, and neither of them can make you fat unless you've eaten too much of them, leading to weight gain from CALORIE excess, not from eating carbohydrates/sugar in general. Eating too much protein or fat will also lead you to gain weight.
  • ppersaud67
    ppersaud67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    http://www.sugarstacks.com/fruits.htm
    check out this website

some fruit does have a high sugar content but it is also beneficial in providing fiber and nutrients - moderation is the key - also better to have vegetables like carrots, broccoli or a vegetable juice
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Indigoblu1 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have to ask. Fruit appears to have sugar contents, and from what I've read (not extensively), they cannot prove whether it is "white sugar" sugar or another kind of sugar. Can fruit make you gain weight like, say eating candy and pasta and bread? Somebody told me once when I was eating grapes that they will make you fat(?!) This just can't be true. Can it? Thank you for you help.

I eat candy, pasta and bread (gluten free due to allergies) all the time and am still losing weight. If you eat ANYTHING in excess of your daily calories, you will gain weight.
  • elphie754
    Options
    ppersaud67 wrote: »
    http://www.sugarstacks.com/fruits.htm
    check out this website

some fruit does have a high sugar content but it is also beneficial in providing fiber and nutrients - moderation is the key - also better to have vegetables like carrots, broccoli or a vegetable juice

Why are those vegetables "better"?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've just eaten 103g of grapes.... I think I'm 5lb heavier already....
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will make you fat, is eating too much. You can eat anything and as long as you're in a deficit, you will lose. Additionally, unless you are diabetic, or have some other medical condition, there is nothing wrong with sugar.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

All vegetables have sugar, but fruit tends to have more than most. Anything you eat in sufficient quantity can cause you to gain weight. But at the same time, you can eat anything in moderation and lose weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I've just eaten 103g of grapes.... I think I'm 5lb heavier already....

cackling!
  • elphie754
    Options

All vegetables have sugar, but fruit tends to have more than most. Anything you eat in sufficient quantity can cause you to gain weight. But at the same time, you can eat anything in moderation and lose weight.

Not sure if you just worded that in a strange fashion, but fruit is not a vegetable.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    off to grab my 170g punnet of raspberries, to eat with my 170g pot of 0% greek yogurt

fibre and protein .. ommnomnomm
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    does fruit on the bottom greek yogurt count as a serving of fruit?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Not sure if you just worded that in a strange fashion, but fruit is not a vegetable.
    I read it as... all vegetables have sugar, but in comparison, fruit has more sugar than veggies.

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who got fat from eating too much fruit.
  • Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you, everybody for your replies! I appreciate it. I have been on a mandarin orange kick lately, and when I saw how much carbs and sugar content those little suckers carry, I started thinking that maybe fruit is not as healthy as I thought. I do eat tons of veggies and fish, rarely beef and moderate amounts of chicken. Again, I appreciate your responses. Thank you.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    they cannot prove whether it is "white sugar" sugar or another kind of sugar.

LOLwut ?!?