Chicago trip. What should we do?

2»

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Oh and also, Second City Comedy Club. You can buy tickets usually for like $20-$30 and it is hilarious! Always a good time.

i cant believe i forgot this. if you like comedy at all its a must see. its mostly sketch type shows. its like what would happen if Saturday Night LIve kept working on their best sketches over and over and put on a show of the best of them.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Cabs are super expensive. Take the train-look for the closest metra station or take the orange line from Midway Airport. Go to Grassanos for Chicago style deepdish pizza- its the best. Howl at the Moon is a pretty cool Piano bar. Millenium Park is great since the weather is getting nicer-go see the bean and the faces and all that other cool stuff our city is known for. They also have things going on there most weekends. Billy Goats Tavern is another classic bar/grill. Take a boat tour on the river. So many things you can do! Have fun :)

I meant Giordanos.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,046 Member
    I second everything above, especially using the metra and el to get around. It will be much cheaper than cabs.

I've heard that the architecture tour is nice, but personally, I wouldn't want to do it so it's up to you. http://www.architecture.org/tours

For bars, my favorite area is Boystown with a bunch of girlfriends. :laugh: But I also love Wrigleyville bars (the ones basically right next to the stadium). Try to go to Wrigley for a game; even though the Cubs aren't doing well (what else is new. :grumble: ), the atmosphere is great.

Yes the Cubs do suck BUT its a good time getting drunk at the game or the rigleyville neighborhood!
  • laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Take a Haunted Tour....it was pretty cool! They also have Mobster tours and I'm sure a ton more to choose from! You could always try Navy Pier as well, and/or the speed boats they have by the pier!
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    go and walk along the lakefront-free and a gorgeous view...if you are in the Lincoln Square area, there are TONS of restaurants-I would recommend Cafe Selmarie, La Bocca Della Verita and Essence of India. All on Lincoln Avenue, and all off the same Brown Line stop-Western Avenue. if you are north of the city-the Chicago Botanic Gardens off the Edens Expressway at Lake Cook Road (east) is beautiful. Lots of walking, and had food available. Take it from a born and bred (and living in) Chicago girl....welcome!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I would try to avoid being shot
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I vote Lincoln Park Zoo, and going to RJ Grunts.. It's the original Lettuce Entertain You Restaurant.

SIgnature room at the 95th is awesome, and so is Sweet Water Cafe, Peterinos and South Water Kitchen.

You can also go to Navy Pier.. They have boat tours, and an awesome stained glass museum.

I also suggest not taking the EL or any CTA train for that matter.. they aren't very safe... Esp if you don't know where you are going exactly. I would take the Metra into the city and then just walk or take a bus.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    I was just there and thoroughly enjoyed taking photos of "The Bean" in Millennium Park and shopping the Magnificent Mile. Some great restaurants on the Magnificent Mile as well! Can't wait to go back and do it all over again!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Best deep dish pizza in the world is Lou Malnati's Pizzeria. It beats Giordano's hands down.

Maxwell Street hot dogs are the bomb as well.

There are some pretty neat things to do in Chicago but lots depend on the weather. Check out MetroMix.com to find out what is happening on any given day in the city.

for a goofy but fin way to see some of Chicago's colorful history check out http://www.weirdchicago.com/