THE MILITARY DIET (3 day diet)

Options
has anyone done this diet and been successful? If you don't know what the diet is I will post the link.

I'm on day 3, and I've followed it exactly. But I'm starving lol!

http://themilitarydiet.com/military-diet-plan/

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I would be starving too- How many cals a day are you logging? I tend not to trust a diet that promises quick fast weight loss. IMO- It doesn't look sustainable.
  • TheDoughnutTheif
    TheDoughnutTheif Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    As a person in the military, I have never heard of or seen this "diet". I really do not see how this will benefit you in the long run...
  • musicbethany94
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I would be starving too- How many cals a day are you logging? I tend not to trust a diet that promises quick fast weight loss. IMO- It doesn't look sustainable.

About 1,000. The diet is only supposed to speed up metabolism
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Eating 1000 calories will not speed up your metabolism.

Eating 1000 calories is not healthy in most cases.

This is a garbage diet with a "hip" name to lure people in. Every person who I've mentioned this to that has actually served in the armed services has said this is a joke. No one in the military actually follows this diet.

Just eat at a healthy deficit, move more, and you will lose weight. No starving required.

ETA: Also, what happens after day 3? Do you go back to normal, do the 3 days over again? Another reason this is a load of crap. Losing weight is not a 3 day process. You didn't gain all your weight in 3 days, you won't lose it in 3 either.
  • Azexas
    Options
    I've heard of increasing muscle mass to increase metabolism... but not a diet.
    Claim: Our metabolic rates can't change.
    The truth: While it's true that genetics help determine our metabolic rates, we can boost metabolism by increasing lean muscle mass. Muscle burns more calories per hour than fat, which means that people with lean, muscular bodies need more calories to function than people with a higher percentage of body fat.
    Our muscle mass decreases as we age, which slows metabolic rates by 2 to 8 percent per decade. But you can counteract this process by picking up the weights. "Having good muscle mass, especially towards your 40s and 50s, is important," says Manuel Villacorta, MS, RD, CSSD, registered dietitian. "If you start with a good baseline, your metabolism isn't going to decrease as much."

Claim: Very low calorie diets and skipping meals can jumpstart weight loss.
    The truth: Weight loss is all about creating an energy deficit – ingesting fewer calories than your body expends each day – but creating too large of a calorie deficit can backfire. Our bodies are smart, and programmed for survival. Severely limiting calories can make your body think it's entering a famine, and that it needs to do more with fewer calories. Your body adapts to the restricted caloric intake, and uses fewer calories to perform the same tasks.

From: http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6442471883

You may have better luck in the long run creating a smaller deficit and eating more.
  • musicbethany94
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

This is a garbage diet with a "hip" name to lure people in. Every person who I've mentioned this to that has actually served in the armed services has said this is a joke. No one in the military actually follows this diet.

Just eat at a healthy deficit, move more, and you will lose weight. No starving required.

It's not the calories that are speeding up the metabolism it's the chemical reaction within all the foods that is supposed to do it. i.e grapefruit,
  • Azexas
    edited January 2015
    Options

It's not the calories that are speeding up the metabolism it's the chemical reaction within all the foods that is supposed to do it. i.e grapefruit,

I'm skeptical of "metabolism boosting foods". Even if they raise them it would only be a few points. Eat at a reasonable deficit and you will lose weight.
    A few of these “metabolism boosters” raise calorie burn by a few percentage points, but in the long run, these kind of shortcuts don’t deliver health or happiness. A good diet and a reasonable exercise plan will do much more for your body than stressing over the latest “metabolism superfoods” that magazine editors use for attention-grabbing cover stories.

http://paleoleap.com/metabolism-boosting-myths/

edit: found the link I wanted.
  • musicbethany94
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

I'm skeptical of "metabolism boosting foods". Even if they raise them it would only be a few points. Eat at a reasonable deficit and you will lose weight.
    A few of these “metabolism boosters” raise calorie burn by a few percentage points, but in the long run, these kind of shortcuts don’t deliver health or happiness. A good diet and a reasonable exercise plan will do much more for your body than stressing over the latest “metabolism superfoods” that magazine editors use for attention-grabbing cover stories.

http://paleoleap.com/metabolism-boosting-myths/

edit: found the link I wanted.

Ok thanks!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Yeah. Um. That's not, you know, science.

Don't believe the hype. There are no "magic foods" for good or ill.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Metabolism boosting foods are "smoke and mirrors." People sell the idea of a metabolism boosting food to entice people to eat them because most everyone wants to think they can just eat some special food and drop weight effortlessly.

The reason grapefruits can help you lose weight is because 1) they are low calorie and 2) they have a good bit of water and fiber (which keeps you feeling fuller longer so you eat less over the long run). Honestly though, you can achieve the same thing by eating less processed foods (choosing more whole foods instead) and moving more.

And I'll reiterate my second point: eating 1000 calories is not healthy. It is highly unlikely that you are getting all/most of your macros and micros in with that calorie level.

Answer me this: when your weight loss stalls (and it most likely will because almost everyone sees a stall), what will you do if you continue on this 1000 calorie diet? To get your weight loss back moving you'll either need to decrease your calories OR move more. If you eat more than 1000 calories, you'll have a bigger calorie budget and will be able to cut your calories a bit when your weight loss stalls.

And who really wants to spend their days starving when you could eat more and still lose?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Of course you're hungry. It's a VLCD.
    I made this mockup of day one of the diet. It's far too few calories, and it's not teaching you sustainable changes. It's a fad that helps you lose water weight.

mbryn1sdkrmt.png

Edit: the way my diary is set up is calories, carbs, fat, protein, fiber, and calcium.
This discussion has been closed.