Kale and Quinoa Salad

Options
BarbieAS
BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
I generally find the term "superfood" a little too Dr. Oz-y for my taste, but when you read lists of foods that are supposed to be extra nutrient-packed...most of the ingredients in this salad make the cut. And HOLY HECK is it tasty. For serious. I rarely share recipes on here, but I had to post this one. I adapted this from a couple of recipes I found in various places. Please keep in mind that this is just a salad; the individual ingredients can be easily tweaked to fit your individual tastes and calorie/macro goals.

Serves 4 as a vegetarian main course or 6-8 as a side dish (or 4-8 as a main if you add some protein, depending on goals and appetites)

For the salad:
160g chopped kale, raw
120g pomegranate seeds
120g avocado, diced
28g walnuts, chopped
100g crumbled goat cheese
80g quinoa (measured raw and then cooked according to package directions and cooled)

For the dressing:
4 Tb olive oil
4 Tb white balsamic or apple cider vinegar
3 Tb fresh lemon juice
1 Tb fresh orange juice
Zest of about 1/2 lemon

Mix, salt to taste, and enjoy!

Bonus tip - the kale is infinitely tastier if you mix it with the dressing the night before and massage it in a bit (sounds dumb, but trust me) and then assemble everything else right before serving.

Double bonus tip - for a great lunch, mix in some cooked and diced chicken breast.

For 4 servings (without any added proteins):
Calories - 406
Fat - 30g
Carbs - 27g
Protein - 10g
Fiber - 6g

Replies

• Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing!
  • acgnyc123
    acgnyc123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Love the recipe. Thank you for posting. If you take out the goat cheese, it's completely vegan and LESS CALORIES and LESS FAT.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    thank you this looks great. I love using apple cider vinegar in salad dressings!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I made this during the summer. So good!
  • Gwilson939
    Gwilson939 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it may be pretty tasty..