Chia Seed

Options
tlebel
tlebel Posts: 33 Member
Any one out there ever hear of chia seeds? If so how do you use them? Any recipe ideas or do you just put them in/on what ever you eat?

Replies

• kxblack
    kxblack Posts: 18
    Options
    i put in oatmeal in the morning
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

One of my MFP friends shared this a few weeks ago which was the first time I heard of chia seeds. Tried the mango and the apple ones, both really yummy, great breakfasts
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Love the little suckers! I soak them in water or juice then at lemon or lime and a little agave. It is called Chia Fresca. You can find plenty of Chia Fresca recipes if you google it :smile:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I make chia seed pudding, google it, there are tons of recipes....
  • aspmg5
    aspmg5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I mix a tablespoon of chia seeds, 6 ounces of greek yogurt, and 1/4 cup of granola for breakfast in the morning. It really energizes me and gets me geared for my workouts!
  • lisa9803
    lisa9803 Posts: 39
    Options
    I put chia seeds in oatmeal, omelettes, yogurt, and I also sprinkle them on salads. You can pretty much use them in anything.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    bump for recipes
  • DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Throw them in your Protein Smoothie... 1 tablespoon
    Remember, they do have "fat" - quite a bit of it too...
  • gypsylouiseporter
    Options
    i put in oatmeal in the morning

yep in my porridge, I stir in about half a teaspoon as well as a teaspoon of lsa and a teaspoon of lecithin. the chia is great if you let your porridge sit and cool a bit, it thickens it up, so you will feel full for a good 3 hours. I love the stuff. you can also use it as a jelly buy putting about 2 teaspoons in 250ml fruit juice and let it sit.
  • Andrea8985
    Andrea8985 Posts: 107
    Options
    I use them mostly in smoothies, oatmeal, and yogurt. You can put them in just about anything though.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    OOOOHHH! I LOVE the little buggers!:love: I make chia pudding with them (just coconut/almond milk with chia seeds and a touch of vanilla) and I put them in smoothies to thicken them up (I can't use bananas). I have used them in raw food "power cookies" and all sorts of other treats :blushing: Chia Fresca is very refreshing and it helps keep me full between meals (I don't use sweetener so its very lo cal). the possibilities are endless :drinker:
  • lyn_2013
    lyn_2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I put 1 tbsp in my yoghurt everyday!
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BuckeyeBabe10
    BuckeyeBabe10 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've made the pudding. :o) And throw them in smoothies. I haven't made the pudding pops yet, but look forward to it.

Mango Coconut Chia Pudding
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/mango-coconut-chia-pudding.html

Raspberry Coconut Chia Pudding Pops
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/08/raspberry-coconut-chia-pudding-pops.html

ETA: Was intrigued by Chia Fresca mentions on here (hadn't heard of it before), so I Googled it. Looks interesting and can't wait to try it! :o) Found this recipe and thought I'd edit my post to add it in...http://ohsheglows.com/2013/03/01/chia-fresca-a-natural-energy-drink/
  • tlebel
    tlebel Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do you find that it helps with weight loss? I just heard about these, I'm just wondering if you find a noticeable difference with weight loss.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Do you find that it helps with weight loss? I just heard about these, I'm just wondering if you find a noticeable difference with weight loss.

Chia is what it is. Great source of clean energy. Still have to fit it within your calorie objectives.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say a noticeable difference with weight loss, but they are a great way of getting more fiber into your diet. I've dropped my total cholesterol 42 points since last November and I'm sure that some amount of that is due to focusing more on fiber (I prefer to get it naturally, though, rather than buying fiber-supplemented products).

As others have noted, chia pudding is great (if you hate tapioca, though, I'd think twice because it's a similar texture), and the seeds are also great in overnight oatmeal. Now that it's getting hot here I'll be trying chia pudding popsicles at some point. And I've also seen recipes for chia jams that basically are just fruit and chia--the gelatinous quality of the chia seeds sets it into a jam-like consistency, no need to add sugar. I'll be trying that soon as I am in that "oh my god look at all this fruit I must buy all of it!" mode, and I need some solutions that'll help me eat all my fruit before it rots.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i use a chia and flaxseed blend instead of breadcrumbs in meatloaf and burgers.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Print 9K
    Quick and Easy Chia Seed Recipes
    9 tasty ways to reap the benefits of this nutritional powerhouse
    By Julie Fagan
    PreviousNextPrevious Slide

.Cinnamon Chia Seed Granola
    Bake up a batch of this granola on a Sunday afternoon and enjoy it all week on top of some Greek yogurt, in a bowl with milk, or in a baggie for a healthy snack on the go.

Ingredients:

Makes four 1/4 c. servings

1 c. old fashioned oats

2 tbsp. chia seeds

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

2 tbsp. honey

1 tbsp. canola oil

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Combine oats through nutmeg in a small bowl and stir. Slowing stir honey and canola oil into oat mixture until oats are adequately coated. Spread granola onto prepared cookie sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes, stirring halfway through. Let cool until oats become crunchy and enjoy.
  • nikkiw29
    nikkiw29 Posts: 25
    Options
    I <3 Chia seeds!!

this is a great link

http://wellnessmama.com/4981/10-uses-for-chia-seeds/