Did I Gain 10 Pounds of Fat in One Month?

Options
Is it possible to have gained 10 pounds of fat in less than 30 days? This is not a day to day fluctuation, but an upward trend. That would mean I would have to had at least a 1000 calorie surplus per day everyday (more than 4000 calories a day). I have increased my exercise significantly as well. Could some of it be muscle? My arms and shoulders don't fit in a lot of my shirts any more. Should I reduce calories further (e.g. 1600 or less per day)?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    If your food diary is accurate, it's unlikely. If you aren't losing weight, your diary might not be as accurate as you think.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    It's certainly possible, although more likely a significant portion of that would be water retention. When you are building muscles there is a lot of extra water in them during the repair process. This will make them seem bulkier and increase weight on the scale.

Regarding if you are gaining fat... has your eating been excessive or seeming out of control?
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    How do your pants fit in the waste?
  • Motivation
    Motivation Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind your weight can fluctuate anywhere as high as +/- 5lbs due to water retention, and other circumstances. If you really want to be accurate use a measuring tape and compare monthly.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you might just need to change the battery in your scale? Mine gives me STUPID numbers when the battery needs changing. Otherwise, without knowing a lot more about your life and lifestyle, I got nuthin'.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I think we need a lot more information. What's your height and weight? Any known medical conditions? Have you ever lost a lot of weight before, and how did you do it?

I see a few things in your diary that could be suspect - you list 100g of things. Are you actually weighing things to be 100g, or are these eyeball guesstimates? However, if your diary is even semi-accurate, I doubt that's causing a gain like you're talking about. More information about your stats and lifestyle is needed.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Judging by your diary, assuming it's even close to accurate, you seem to be eating at a pretty steep deficit. So you should see some sort of downward trend, not upward trend.

Are you being honest with your logging?
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Stats: 6ft, 280 lbs, 29 years old. What other lifestyle information is needed? I have not really eaten excessively more than three times in six months. I increased my intake slightly so that I don't drop the weight bar on my face or fall asleep driving. My doctor says something bizarre is going on, but doesn't know what it is. All tests have come back normal except for T3 uptake, vitamin d levels (deficiency), and extremely low testosterone. At c. 2000 calories, I should be dropping weight quickly, but am having the reverse result. Interestingly, most of the medical conditions I developed when I was 50 pounds lighter are now gone (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and liver disease now gone). My logging is pretty honest, though many disagree. I admit I forget to log a couple of things once in a while.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    might be worth revisiting your food log, to fine tune.
    you could easily be missing a couple hundred calories a day (little here, little there, they add up)
    it could be a combo of water retention, underestimating quantity, not logging items, scale on the fritz..

..... please don't feel you need to defend yourself, ... just reflect & get as accurate as you can. cause you did say you were stumped as to why you're gaining.

weigh/measure as much as you can. I thought I ate 1 cup of cereal, until i started measuring, surprised myself - more like 1.5 cups! eeks.

scrolling thru your diary.... maybe there's additional items
    Beverages rarely: except black coffee (no sugar/cream) and an occassional glass of milk. any juices? alcoholic beverages? or just water? liquid calories can add up fast.

bread for breakfast: dry
    cereal sometimes : dry
    pancakes: dry - no butter, syrup, jam etc

sandwiches sometimes dry, sometimes just mustard. never mayo or salsa? (or maybe that's what the avocado is for, cool!)

dinner: chicken, rice, broccoli all dry. oil, butter, sauce?

any side dishes for breakfast, lunch or dinner?
    grazing while preparing meals.
    grazing from kids/ spouse's plate
    grazing at work

anyways, do hope you get to the bottom of all this. good luck! :)

• djp5235
    djp5235 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bokaba wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. Stats: 6ft, 280 lbs, 29 years old. What other lifestyle information is needed? I have not really eaten excessively more than three times in six months. I increased my intake slightly so that I don't drop the weight bar on my face or fall asleep driving. My doctor says something bizarre is going on, but doesn't know what it is. All tests have come back normal except for T3 uptake, vitamin d levels (deficiency), and extremely low testosterone. At c. 2000 calories, I should be dropping weight quickly, but am having the reverse result. Interestingly, most of the medical conditions I developed when I was 50 pounds lighter are now gone (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and liver disease now gone). My logging is pretty honest, though many disagree. I admit I forget to log a couple of things once in a while.

I must say I am experiencing the same thing. Over the past month I have gained about 10lb even though I consistently eat 2000-2400 calories. I also have the same healthy issues. I have not figured out what is going on or why I am gaining weight. If you find anything out let me know!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As when you asked why you weren't losing at the beginning of the month, you're eating more than you think. Buy a food scale, use it for EVERYTHING, and start logging accurately. It's not all fat. You have pizza and Chipotle on there several times, so you're probably retaining a lot of sodium. But you absolutely need to tighten up your logging.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible, but not probable. Part of that is water retention due to your new exercise program. Start weighing your food, for instance, what is a fifth of an avocado? You have no idea how much you're eating unless you're weighing.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I do have a scale and am weighing. I plan to post pictures of what I am eating with the scale readout though I doubt that will change anyone's mind. It appears everyone is looking at the end result and inductively reasoning that the only possible explanation is my logging. There are other possibilities.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    bokaba wrote: »
    I do have a scale and am weighing. I plan to post pictures of what I am eating with the scale readout though I doubt that will change anyone's mind. It appears everyone is looking at the end result and inductively reasoning that the only possible explanation is my logging. There are other possibilities.

Then your diary should reflect that
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Two of your bananas and two of your apples weigh exactly the same. I don't think you are weighing everything.