Getting back into running questions

Options
this past Saturday I ran my first 5k in over a year. Prior to that I had been running every other day for a month. It is now three days after my 5k, I ran yesterday, and I feel excellent. The problem is, I want to run daily. I was a cross country runner and I was running 50 miles a week and a few years ago I developed stress fractures and it took me this long to get back into running at a pace where I did reinjure myself. My question is, when is it okay to start running more than every other day? I'm doing the couch to 10k program every other day right now.
Thanks

Replies

• SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Get a good base established first, then start bringing in more days. For example, C210K is generally every other day. Finish that to get your base set up. Then every three weeks add a new day, being sure not to go over the golden rule of running (10% increase rule). When I was building my running days up I used http://davidhays.net/running/buildingbase.html as a template.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on running marathon distances or longer and aiming for the podium? If not there is probably no need to be running every day - the fact that you developed stress fractures from running every day tells me you already know why it might not be a great idea for you.

I understand the urge to be active every day ( I seldom take a day off) but you might want to consider a little more diversity in your exercise regimen. Cross training can help a lot with injury prevention.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I only run twice a week because of past injuries.

I work out 5 or 6 times a week, instead of running all those days, I walk or bike to have less impact.
  • pbandz
    pbandz Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Brian, I am signing up for another 5k next month, and I am looking at a 10k in March and my ultimate goal is to do a half marathon over summer/fall. I have tried cross training but my favorite activity is running. On days off I spend a lot of time walking. I take a yoga class at school so I'm doing that as well as extra stretching. Occasionally I bike or use an elliptical but my go to choice is running. Thanks for all the responses. I think I may start adding a day after the next 5k I run.
  • Level1Vegan
    Level1Vegan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Get a good base established first, then start bringing in more days. For example, C210K is generally every other day. Finish that to get your base set up. Then every three weeks add a new day, being sure not to go over the golden rule of running (10% increase rule). When I was building my running days up I used http://davidhays.net/running/buildingbase.html as a template.

what a fantastic article. Thanks for posting that. I'm upping my runs but having read that I'll take it more slowly ta!

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Here are some tips I tried to be mindful of when I started running again at the new year after taking time off for foot issues.

http://www.active.com/running/articles/8-tips-to-make-a-strong-comeback-to-running-after-an-injury
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm building up to my first 5K, then a 10 K later in the summer. I don't ever intend to run more than every other day. When I looked up a regimen to prepare, I was surprised that there is no need to run 10 K every day. The peak running is a few weeks before run day. There are other ways to up your game including varying your pace. I've just started riding a recumbent bicycle for about ten minutes on non-run days and that seems to be helping.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Are you planning on running marathon distances or longer and aiming for the podium? If not there is probably no need to be running every day - the fact that you developed stress fractures from running every day tells me you already know why it might not be a great idea for you.

I understand the urge to be active every day ( I seldom take a day off) but you might want to consider a little more diversity in your exercise regimen. Cross training can help a lot with injury prevention.
    pbandz wrote: »
    Brian, I am signing up for another 5k next month, and I am looking at a 10k in March and my ultimate goal is to do a half marathon over summer/fall. I have tried cross training but my favorite activity is running. On days off I spend a lot of time walking. I take a yoga class at school so I'm doing that as well as extra stretching. Occasionally I bike or use an elliptical but my go to choice is running. Thanks for all the responses. I think I may start adding a day after the next 5k I run.

I have to agree with Brian on this one. I've run over a dozen half marathons on 3 or 4 days per week, never two days in a row, and it's more than enough. I've not had a running injury (beyond stepping on a rock and hurting my foot) in 4 years.

I love running, too, and I get the desire to run every day but those who do it are simply more prone to injury. Why set yourself up for that if it's not needed for the training you want to do? Why not find something else you like for the days between. For me it's weight lifting with occasional rides on my stationary bike and hiking.