knees

I have noticed over the past 3 runs that at a certain point my right knee starts to hurt (not pain just uncomfortable). It's not a certain amount of time or distance but as I start up a certain hill we run. Sometimes it is around mile 1.5 today it was at 4 miles. The hill is an overpass to a highway so we have to slow down, wait until clear cross off ramp then make a sharp left turn up the ramp back onto the sidewalk. Hill isn't steep just awkward. We ran from 7-8 this morning and at 3pm it still is uncomfortable. Feels stiff with one spot that feels like i have something poking through my knee. Anyone ever have something similar and how did you "fight" it?

Replies

• Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    My fix was a bit of strength training in the legs (quads, hamstrings, calves) went a long way. In the meantime, I wore a patellar stablizier strap. You shouldn't need a full on brace. They strap was good for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Athletics-Patellar-Tendon-Medium/dp/B0010VUMB0/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1370201276&sr=1-1&keywords=patellar
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    I was an avid runner up until maybe 2 years ago. I was running almost exclusively and after 6-7 years of that, my knees protested. I didn't tear anything, I think it was overuse and I needed strengthen my leg muscles like someone said. My knees eventually stopped hurting after letting them heal and now I am doing cardio classes/interval training/ and strength training. I am very careful with my knees and try to baby them in those classes. Right now, they are pretty much pain free. I have recently started doing some running a few times a week and was so excited when I didn't have any pain. I would not try to push through the pain. Its not worth causing an injury and risk not being able to walk with out pain. I'm mulled over seeing a dr about my knees. Maybe that is an option for you? Oh, I'm a little psyched out about knees as my mom just had a 2nd knee replacement(on her other knee) and she is 61. Hers was due to being overweight(stress on her knees) as well as arthritis. I wonder if I'm headed that direction:(
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    thanks for the suggestions! I guess i can't skip cross training days anymore! I will wear my brace. I forgot to mention I have a double patella in that knee, but doc swears it shouldn't cause a problem