Does this sound about right?

Options
So we've been having dance parties with our kids in order to up the fun factor of getting some extra activity in. I had been logging it as dancing- modern/twist which was giving me somewhere around 200 calories burned for a 20 minute session on most calorie calculators. Well my husband recently got me a HRM and it has good reviews but it clocked me in at 409 calories burned for a 30 minute session today. I will totally take it if it is accurate but it got me thinking and I am curious if anyone else has had similar results and can confirm this could be accurate. I am 5'6", and currently weigh 207 and lead a fairly sedentary lifestyle. Up until a couple weeks ago, I had been inactive over the past year to the point of often laying in bed every moment that I wasn't attending to our children. I was suffering from some bad depression and laying around and sitting all day made me very weak. I am changing my sedentary ways every bit that I can- started running even. But I want to be accurate on logging my exercise so that I don't mess up on my diary.

I should also add that at point in our dancing sessions, I pick up one of the kiddos (weights are 30 and 20 pounds) and swing them around/carry them/dance with them often. We aren't doing any specific dance but we get really goofy and I do big movements that will entertain the kids while I get my calorie burn. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Replies

• oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Your HRM should be accurate... I logged all of my work out using my HRM but I dont know for sure if it supports "dancing", I guess if your heart fluctuates while doing it that it will be accurate? so don't quote me on this.

I used to date a DJ back in the days and I will sweat my butt of dancing even for 30 minutes so... I supposed 400 maybe accurate. I work out daily and usually burn 10 calories per minute... so maybe if in doubt average it out? ;) good luck!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    HRMs are only really good for steady state cardio. For other things, it can over-predict calorie burn. Something like dancing, with a lot of stops and starts, could be anaerobic depending on how you do it. I'd probably take the lower of the two numbers, were it me.