Tattoo Etiquette Question

Options
JustinAnimal
JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
So my tattoo artist, who is totally understanding of my neurosis and asking to see the work a few times before it's done, is now asking for a deposit. It's not a big deal, but what if I don't like the tattoos he comes up with? I don't want to forfeit money because I asked him to draw it in-advance and maybe revise. What do you think? Do I give somebody else a shot or trust the guy whose given me two very successful tats in the recent past? Does the deposit thing seem standard or strike you as odd? Just curious, not trying to insinuate anything here.

Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    ive never been asked for a deposit before so that seems weird
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he is behind with his meth dealer and is trying to rack up some money any way he can...
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    if you are asking to see it a few times in advance, and this is out of the ordinary for other customers - i don't see anything wrong with getting a deposit. but there should be terms that are agreed upon. You should ask him what happens if you don't like the tattoos. He may thing that he should be compensated for his time that he spent outside the average amount he spends on someone else's design so maybe he would keep it, regardless. or maybe he just wants to make sure if he's putting in the time, he's going to be the one doing the ink and would refund it (or contribute it to the cost of the tattoo) when he does tattoo it on you.

i guess what i am saying is: find out what the deposit means before deciding it's unfair.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the feedback. I think he's worried I'm going to change my mind a million times and waste his time. For my past two, I saw his designs and said yes right away, made no changes, so not sure why he's so worried. I just don't want to feel locked in to a design I don't like.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Did you ask him why he wanted a deposit this time and not the two previous times? I have never been asked to give a deposit before but the artists that have done my tattoos (30+) have been know to me or a friend.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    What is the size of the piece? If it is something small I would say a deposit is nonsense, however if he is creating a rather large piece of art for you and is spending hours drawing it then a deposit is (imo) an assurance that he is going to be compensated for his time. I know tattoo artists that do it both ways.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I was asked to put down a deposit the first time I was tattoo'd by a new artist; and I wasn't offended by it. I'm asking for a custom piece, he's going to invest time and talent whether I get it put on me or not, so he should be compensated for his time. I would imagine that if I commissioned a painter to make my portrait he/she would ask for a deposit for much the same rationale.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I paid a deposit on my tattoo, to basically hold my spot and guarantee that the artist is going to get some compensation for the work (the drawing) of my tattoo. It wasn't a lot - not even 20% of the total cost? It was worth it to me to see the design and have it sit with me for a couple months to ensure that I wasn't going to change my mind.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Is he spending his time working on something for you before the actual tattooing?
  • bornforbattles
    bornforbattles Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Anytime I've asked someone to draw something up they typically ask for some kind of deposit in advance (understandable as there are so many flaky people now a days). $100-$200 deposit is reasonable especially if you are a repeat customer. anything more than that would be suspect. You have to remember you're asking someone to spend a bunch of time on a creating a custom tattoo. Time is money
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I have had to put down deposits twice, but only to book appointments at busy studios. I couldn't get an appointment for a month at the one because it was one of the shops owned by tattoo show winner, so it was like a guarantee I would show. I have never had to pay a deposit for any of my other tattoos, but they were all walk-ins.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The tattoos that I have done that were appointments and not walk in days required a deposit of at least $50 to secure my spot and to cover the work that the artist was doing before the appointment. That's how most of the shops around here operate.
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've had custom work done and each time I had to put a deposit down.
    Tattoo artists have many no-shows, imagine waiting all day for your appointments just to have them not show... they have to get paid somehow!
  • ahokay89
    ahokay89 Posts: 353
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Anytime I've asked someone to draw something up they typically ask for some kind of deposit in advance (understandable as there are so many flaky people now a days). $100-$200 deposit is reasonable especially if you are a repeat customer. anything more than that would be suspect. You have to remember you're asking someone to spend a bunch of time on a creating a custom tattoo. Time is money

This. There are a lot of times they spend their time drawing something up and end up getting no-shows..so I think it's pretty fair considering someone will go when they put their money down.
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual for a tattoo artist to ask for a deposit. The artists at my shop do so (unless I've walked in with a specific design and they're able to fit me in). This guarantees that the customer won't flake and the artist will get compensated for the time he spent drawing up the design/prepping.
  • ughbrit
    ughbrit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My artist requires a deposit of 1 hour of his rate. This is because people will ask for drawings and then never come back and actually get the tattoo done. This covers the cost of some of his time (obviously he puts in WAY more than 1 hour of his time into the drawing). This is also more important for artists that are in high demand. It's totally normal! The deposit is then applied to the overall cost of the tattoo.
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Find out if the deposit goes towards the final cost. I had to put down a deposit with my artist because people tend to cancel appointments and then she has this block of time she could have scheduled someone else in. During my final session, the down payment went towards that so it wasn't an extra cost, it was just upfront.

If that's the case with your artist, I'd be fine with it.

My deposit was only $50 though...
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You're probably "one of those customers". It's called a PITA charge, in the industry. LOL. It really is. LOL

Yup. After two sessions with my artist, he stopped making me give him a deposit to do drawings. Any new person is going to be assumed to be a PITA until proven otherwise.