ALSO freaked out about my calorie goal..

Options
2»

Replies

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    TDEE accounts for exercise in the setup so there is no eating back ... NEAT expects you to eat them back because they aren't accounted for in the setup. It really is just a difference of where you plug them into the equation.

Actually, on the calculator I posted, you have the option to choose your activity level. I chose 'couch potato', which doesn't include exercise, because I fail to see how a calculator can take into account all the different varieties of working out that exist. Anyone with half a brain realizes that there is a big difference between walking for an hour at 3 mph for your exercise and doing the elliptical for an hour. Also, the amount of calories you burn on the elliptical will vary, according to the settings. That's why I choose to calculate my calories burned separately.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    TDEE accounts for exercise in the setup so there is no eating back ... NEAT expects you to eat them back because they aren't accounted for in the setup. It really is just a difference of where you plug them into the equation.

Actually, on the calculator I posted, you have the option to choose your activity level. I chose 'couch potato', which doesn't include exercise, because I fail to see how a calculator can take into account all the different varieties of working out that exist. Anyone with half a brain realizes that there is a big difference between walking for an hour at 3 mph for your exercise and doing the elliptical for an hour. Also, the amount of calories you burn on the elliptical will vary, according to the settings. That's why I choose to calculate my calories burned separately.

Then you're not doing TOTAL DAILY ENERGY EXPENDITURE. Words mean things. If you use one of the calculators set at sedentary and then track exercise separately, you're doing NEAT (NON EXERCISE ACTIVITY THERMOGENISIS) ... the same thing MFP uses.

I won't reply in kind with the ad hominem comments.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Dang.. that implies I eat that much daily. What an eye opener..

1700 calories is barely more than a large shake at many fast food places (Sonic large chocolate shake is over 1400 calories) ... a Wendy's double is 820 calories ... a Big Mac value meal is over 1000 calories ...

What MFP prescribed based on your input is not a lot.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    LOL 2300 calories is not a "huge" amount. I'm a 172-ish pound 44 yo woman who eats 2000 calories a day and I'm still losing over a pound a week.

What many beginners at calorie-counting find very helpful to do is spend their first week or two on MFP not changing their diet, but logging everything they're currently eating. It helps you 1) get a handle on the quirks of MFP and how to use the tool accurately (protips: the database is full of inaccurate entries, how you measure your portions matters, etc.) and 2) is a super-useful reality check to get a sense of how much you've actually been eating.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Then you're not doing TOTAL DAILY ENERGY EXPENDITURE. Words mean things. If you use one of the calculators set at sedentary and then track exercise separately, you're doing NEAT (NON EXERCISE ACTIVITY THERMOGENISIS) ... the same thing MFP uses.

I won't reply in kind with the ad hominem comments. [/quote]

I wasn't making any sort of ad hominem attack toward you. I was telling you my logic in the methodology I use. Don't be so touchy! Some random internet stranger isn't worth getting upset over.

Look in my first post. You will see the words "couch potato" clearly written. That was the information I was suggesting he use for TDEE, rather than include his exercise, because I was clearly suggesting that he not eat back his exercise calories burned. I'm sorry you didn't read my post through or didn't understand what I was saying, but it seems as if you are attacking me for no reason. I don't understand why. If you disagree with me, that is your right. As the French would say, "Et puis après?"
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Man, I'm a girl and I can lose on that much.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    My suggested calorie intake is 2,310 calories a day.

Sounds about right for your size/weight. But be mindful that this is an estimate and you should adjust based on actual experience. Also assumes accurate tracking, adjusting caloric intake as you lose weight and eating some portion of your exercise calorie back . I started at 245 lbs (6' 2") and easily lost 1 lbs/week at 2250.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »

I won't reply in kind with the ad hominem comments.

I wasn't making any sort of ad hominem attack toward you. I was telling you my logic in the methodology I use. Don't be so touchy! Some random internet stranger isn't worth getting upset over.

Look in my first post. You will see the words "couch potato" clearly written. That was the information I was suggesting he use for TDEE, rather than include his exercise, because I was clearly suggesting that he not eat back his exercise calories burned. I'm sorry you didn't read my post through or didn't understand what I was saying, but it seems as if you are attacking me for no reason. I don't understand why. If you disagree with me, that is your right. As the French would say, "Et puis après?"[/quote]

TDEE includes exercise ... if you separate out exercise and count it separately, you're using NEAT. That is the difference between TOTAL DAILY ENERGY EXPENDITURE (exercise included) and NON EXERCISE ACTIVITY THERMOGENISIS (exercise tracked separately). As I said, words mean things. Keep intimating that I don't understand you when your explanation includes the intermingling and interchanging of disparate terms.

• CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Dang.. that implies I eat that much daily. What an eye opener..

To maintain your current weight, you've probably been eating about 3200 or more per day most days. Unless you're very active, in which case it might even have been more.

Don't worry... you most likely will do just fine at that recommended calorie level.