Strength Training and HIIT Workouts

Options
Hi everyone,

I will be starting a new workout regime next week. I am going to do StrongLifts 5x5 on M-W-F. I was hoping to incorporate HIIT workouts into my week as well - Tuesdays and Thursdays - but I've heard mixed things about doing them on my non StrongLifts days since it could impede muscle repair. Should I do easier cardio on these days?

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you have time you can do both HIIT and strength training on the same day. I lift heavy at the gym 3 days a week and am currently doing Insanity Max 30 HIIT workout 5 days a week. Two of those days I end up lifting and HIIT. I always lift first followed by a 2 to 3 hour rest before doing Insanity. Doing both on the same day doesn't hurt other than the feeling of total exhaustion at the end of the day. As long as you are giving your body a rest day or two and are fine with doing both on the same day, I think you will still see good results. I have..
  • 1971MLJ
    1971MLJ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do both at least 4 days per week sometimes 5. As long as your nutrition and recovery are figured out you should be fine.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I will be starting a new workout regime next week. I am going to do StrongLifts 5x5 on M-W-F. I was hoping to incorporate HIIT workouts into my week as well - Tuesdays and Thursdays - but I've heard mixed things about doing them on my non StrongLifts days since it could impede muscle repair. Should I do easier cardio on these days?

Those recovery days are an important part of the Strong Lifts programme. But it does say you can do cardio after each weight session. So if you want to do HIIT, you may as well just do it after your workout.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I dont have an issue lifting and doing hiit on a schedule like that. my muscles seem to repair themselves but I always warm up before a workout(including lifting) and a cool down after,and making sure I fuel up properly before and after also. If you want to do it different days then that is your choice.. listen to your body as everyone is different.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I second doing your HIIT after your strength training on the same day. You can do some light recovery cardio on Tuesday and Thursday if you like or simply make those your rest days. I do HIIT once a week after my upper body lifting. I usually make the following day a rest day. If I do anything it would just be some brisk walking to aid muscle repair.
  • autopilot_off
    autopilot_off Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing StrongLifts and I have tried mixing in some cardio on my non lifting days. I think it's a personal choice, but for me doing some HIIT cardio was too much. Some moderate cardio was great (nothing more than 30 minutes).

I think your best bet would be to start with less intense cardio and see how you feel. Then if you feel like you can, add in something more intense.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 Fat Loss Method: http://youtu.be/4nzUD0s5QsU

Hope the link works. This is a short YouTube of Eliot Hulse who talks about good ways to incorporate fat burn when doing 5x5.
  • soliver138
    soliver138 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do my HIIT workouts at end of my lifting sessions. I don't have any research on whether its good or bad but it has been working well me so far. Good luck :)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    You'll be okay for a while. When the weight gets heavier, you'll know when you need to scale back one or the other.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've read (so take this for what it's worth) that HIIT and heavy lifting have very similar effects on the CNS, so doing them on different days can hinder recovery in that regard.

I think a lot of this depends on the person and how hard/intense their workouts are, but I can certainly see this being problematic if done consistently over longer stretches of time.

So in the context of what's most ideal... I would suggest doing them on the same day. IME, this is easier said than done when on a 5x5 program. Let's squat 3x week followed immediately by sprints/bleachers??? Yea, no thanks.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I do a 20-25 minute HIIT workout before I lift. Its a nice warm-up and energizes me before I lift.
  • Mythicalbee
    Options
    Does anyone know how to log in HIIT under strength training on the app? It would take forever to add each individual piece and the class changes it up every week. Great post btw, got some good tips here!
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I have to say I am actually surprised so many of you do/recommend HIIT workouts on the same day...I feel like whatever you do second would be compromised due to fatigue. But maybe I will give it a try after a couple of weeks. I appreciate all the input - feel free to keep it comin'.