adjusting the amount of nutritional value

Options
Hi hoping I'm putting this in the right place if not can it be moved please? I've just started to use MFP "properly" on my 5th day (I only managed one day on my diary before) and I'm noticing serious problems with things like quorn e.g. the quorn site says that one fillet is 90 cals, 12.6 protein and 1.3mg of salt. But when I input into my diary no matter which one I tried (and there is a lot!) they all say 45 cals and 400 mg of salt and less protein which is putting my data out of whack. Bisto original was an amazing 20.004 sodium for a tablespoon o:) Last night I noticed I could change nutritional value etc but I'm really unsure about how to input the salt and that might be what has happened before. The salt is 0.00 so does this mean 0.13 or is it 0.013 or something? I'll try to fix a few at a time.

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The database on MyFitnessPal is user-generated. That means there are people all over the place adding food items to the food database. Some of them add them accurately, some don't. There are tons and tons of "wrong" entries in the database.

Some tips to help cut down on the aggravation factor:
    • Wherever possible, use entries without a star / asterisk next to them. That means they're the entries that were added by MFP and not by users, and they're verified as accurate.
    • If there's no non-starred entry, look for an entry that has a lot of confirmations from users. It's more likely to be accurate.
    • Measure solids on a scale in weight, instead of by cups and teaspoons. It's more accurate.
    • Read the food labels on anything you have labels for. If it doesn't match the MFP entry, edit the MFP entry or create your own item.
    • For fresh fruits, vegetables, meats and dairy, search for entries containing "USDA" as they're more likely to contain the USDA confirmed calorie values for these.
    • Use the recipe builder for any home cooked recipes.

It's time-consuming at first, but once you have logged most of the foods you eat regularly, you'll find it easier to copy/paste from earlier days and it will be much quicker.