Calling All "Picky Eaters" --- My challenge to myself...

Options
Hey there!

If you can relate to this and want to challenge yourself, I'd love to know what you try, what the challenges where with how to prepare it and what you think about it!

I grew up in a household with a "picky eater" parent and another parent that just ate what was cooked. What was cooked had very little variety.

I wasn't necessarily a picky eater...I just wasn't presented any alternatives - so, more or less I was "freaked out" by "weird" foods. As I got older I started to explore more foods (salsa: age 20, tuna fish: age 22, chinese food: age 25, sushi: age 27, thai food: age 32...yes...I know what you're thinking). My partner and friends are still amazed at some of the things I've not tried.

While shopping for oranges the other day I realized I have never had - or remember having - any of the other similar fruits that surrounded the navel orange bin. So, I decided to end that right there and then!

It may not seem impressive to some, but I grabbed the following: blood orange, cara cara, minneola and a tangerine (yeah...I don't think I've ever even had one of those).

Results so far: Tasty! And now I have new options!

I'm definitely going to present myself with this challenge in the future.

Best to you!

~M.C. Turtle

Replies

• MolassesCoveredTurtle
    Options
    UPDATE: Tangerines are very seedy...but good.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I've spent the last year or so eating my way through the fruits and veggies in the "exotic" sections of the grocery store here. Since I'm in the middle of the Midwest, the quality is not the greatest (hello, travel time), but it at least gives me an idea for when I am somewhere with more immediate access. (The tradeoff is that we have the most amazing farmer's market for locally grown produce in-season. For whatever reason, our summer and winter squashes in particular are incredible.)

My very favorite discovery is jicama, which is like a cross between an apple and a potato.
  • charmer1988
    charmer1988 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is that I loathe mushrooms, and almost every recipe that I want to try has them in it. Trying to find a decent substitute, but most people come back to me with eggplant, which I can't stand either.

17733300.png
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Jicama is awesome!! It's so annoying to me that I could get it back in my ghetto hood but I can't get it at the major grocery chains.

I love the idea of this challenge- I'm a picky eater but it's because I have a sensitive/stupid stomach.
    -
    If you ever see a pomelo (pumello sometimes), get one. They're a lot of work to eat but they are really super delicious. They look kinda like giant grapefruits but they're much sweeter.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I used to be a picky eater. When I was 17 or so, I tried fried rice or the first time (I'd been avoiding it, as it was weird and yucky). After that, I made it a point to try new foods on a regular basis.

My most recent discovery is that Brussels Sprouts, while appallingly gross when boiled, are actually pretty tasty when roasted with some olive oil, red wine, sea salt and garlic.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hey there Molasses,

I think what you are doing sounds like a wonderful idea. There is probably a wonderful world out there yet full of flavours for you yet to try.

I am older than you, 52, and grew up with a Mum who boiled literally everything within an inch of its life and beyond and the result was tasteless and revolting, also being forced to eat organ meats such as tripe (cow stomach) with white sauce and cauliflower cold for breakfast because I was unable to swallow it the night before, has left it's mark upon me.

When I had littlies of my own I was so determined that they weren't going to suffer like that, I presented foods often, even if it was previously rejected, perhaps cooked a different way and there was no punishment etc. We has alot stir fries, flash style cooking to retain colour and flavour and there was nothing out of bounds.

Funniest time was on return to my Mum's with kids in tow and broccoli was served called magical "trees" by my daughter when she picked up a floret and it wilted over like the tired, sad over-boiled veg it was.....she looked up at me puzzled, promptly said "Yuk", wouldn't eat it.

My youngest is a Chef and lives and works internationally.....they are both open and knowledgeable in a way I'll never be about food and I am glad that if I helped them in that.

Good luck to you as you explore!!!
  • MolassesCoveredTurtle
    Options
    Jicama is now on my radar.

I hate eggplant too. Mushrooms I love. That's a hard food to substitute. I will say different varieties do have different flavor and textures. Maybe keep trying?

Ha ha! Saw the pomelo next to the oranges and I thought, "Hmm...not quite yet."

Also have a sensitive stomach. Can't quite figure it out. I have some trigger foods that I can eat sometimes and other times can leave me writhing in pain. So, that does make me hesitate to try new foods. It seems like it's most likely an enzyme issue.

OMG! Roasted Brussels sprouts are sooooo good. Can't find the link to the recipe I made...but I did a Roasted Winter Vegetables with barley once and it was terrific.

Spreyton - so good of you to treat food that way with your kids. Thanks for the encouragement!

• MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

there was no punishment etc.

I love this. I am super picky and the only vegetables I like at all are corn, green beans, peas, and carrots (but only if they're cooked). I think it's because my father always had a way of cooking vegetables that left them slimy textured and gross smelling to me. Then he would try to force us to eat them, and if we didn't eat them we would have to sit at the table until we ate them. I sat at a table for four hours once because I refused to eat a slimy eggplant. To this day the idea of eggplant makes me feel like I'm going to gag.

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Jicama is now on my radar.

It's the best.

My personal favorite way to eat it is: raw, peeled, sliced, sprinkled with chili powder and maybe a little salt if that's your thing.

It's also yummy roasted with some garlic and black pepper.
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have been picky since I was a little girl. I was very bad when I was in Elementary school. My diet consisted of: balogna, hot dogs, peanut butter sandwiches, junk food, bananas, and up until about the first grade, baby food. That's about it- I wish I was joking. I got a LOT better in middle school.

However, I still am fairly picky and I like the idea of challenging myself.

I tried maple and brown sugar oatmeal for breakfast this morning. I thought it was disappointing. Lacked any pleasing flavor and the texture was just unpalatable.