Ladies! How many calories do you consume a day?

Options

Replies

• VRotberg
    VRotberg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am doing 1200cal/day. However, I do at least and hr of cardio a day which gives me an extra 500-600cal/day. By the end of the day i've eaten a total of ~1700cal but my body has burned around 2100 so i still have a 500cal deficit and I don't feel hungry.

Def up the protein! it stimulates your metabolism to burn more fat
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    VRotberg wrote: »
    Def up the protein! it stimulates your metabolism to burn more fat

The what now?
  • chele402
    chele402 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my net average below 1400. If I ate a 1000 calories, I'd probably faint.

• VRotberg
    VRotberg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    the other issue with going that low is your metabolism actually SLOWS and tries to adapt to such low food. you don't want that, you want it working in top shape to burn at a regular rate so you lose fat!
  • mcjebus
    mcjebus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lol you WILL lose weight that way. Idk why you wouldn't? I lost by eating 600 calories a day (no, nobody should ever do that, I got really sick, but I'm just saying you're not going to stop losing by eating less LOL) If you're getting enough protein (46g a day) and vitamins 1000 is fine. With most veggies you'd have to eat a lot to get that much. I think most people should get around 1500 a day? I dunno. I try to keep it around 1200 now. Talk to your doctor about it. If you start having problems sleeping, get pale ect eat more obviously.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I am 5', want to lose 15lbs. I am currently set at 1250 a day and I am losing every week.

• silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Do you mean calories eaten or net calories? Are you adding exercise calories to your goal and then "eating back"? It's very different if you mean that you eat 1500 per day and "exercise off" 500 than if you mean you really only eat 1000 per day.

Your actual intake should average more than 1200 per day, and even that would be very low unless you were completely sedentary or very tiny.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I lose on 1800/day working a desk job.
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    i used to eat ~1000. I could do it, sure, but for two months, it sucked. Now I eat around 1500-1700, am still losing (not sure how, to be honest, but whatevs). In fact, as I type, i am eating a pint of Chocolate Therapy from Ben and Jerry's. :) I missed it so much when i was hardcore restricting.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    that's really low, why? unless you're like 5ft and not counting the cals you eat back after exercise. otherwise that's way too little. i could easily get under 1000 too if all i ate throughout the day was veggies. doesn't mean it's enough! eat girl!! i eat like 1200-1400 a day and manage to lose/maintain
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. You seem young so you can probably eat a good bit more and still lose. Some people have naturally high metabolisms, studies have shown that they move more than the rest of us even when they are sitting still, so they can eat more too. I sit like a person in a coma, they wiggle and stretch and play with their hair and kick their feet. We can be the exact same age and the exact same size and do the exact same job but they will lose weight eating 1400 calories and I will need to keep it below 1200. You have to find the balance that works for you.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    What are you training for that you need to work out twice a day?
    This!
  • Bukeelaka
    Options
    1800 to 2200 depending on activity level.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    You shouldn't eat below 1200 (unless you are extremely petite, sedentary, and older in age). It is extremely difficult (mostly impossible) to get your macros, micros, and vitamins in when you eat less than 1200.

FWIW: I eat 1800 a day and lose. I eat a bunch of veggies, but I also like having food other than veggies in my day so I couldn't have a super low calorie goal.

Wrong...unless you are a sedentary 2-3 year old child should it ever be below 1200 or if you are under the care of a weight loss physician with a carefully planned nutritional plan. You need to calculate your BMR for your minimum and TDEE for your maximum. I typically eat 1350 if I'm not working out or 1700-1800 if I am. And you will lose if you eat this much.

Use this http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to help you figure out the above.
  • ballet312
    ballet312 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    About 1700 a day. I'm 5 ft, 105, 49yrs and workout 3x a week. Where you need to be calorie wise really depends on your height and activity level too.
  • dballen07
    dballen07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1700-1900
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    About 1250-1300, but I am very sedentary. I only started exercising this week (after being here since June - and three days of the week I will be on 1200 as I don't plan to leave bed on those days) and will eat back a fair amount of my exercise calories. I walked a lot today so my fitbit let me eat about 1450. You should definitely not be eating less than 1200, so up your 1000 accordingly.
  • dballen07
    dballen07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is crazy low unless you already weigh <120 lbs and then you probably don't need to lose weight. I don't trust the goals set in MFP at all. Create your own goals!
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I am 5'1" tall, 45 y.o. and have a desk job. I really have barely any activity I don't actively seek. I eat (on avg) 1500 cals a day and lose weight - albeit slowly. I have quite a bit to lost still but i want to retain as much LBM as possible and I like food. So, I am choosing to do this is a way I feel is sustainable for the long term
  • Afinaya
    Options