EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink!!!

Options
Okay so I have noticed for some time now that on my rest days I am ravenous, yet on the days I workout I am easily satiated and have no issue or desire to eat anything that would take me over my calorie goal. Can anyone please explain to me the cause of this oddity as well as what steps I could take to assist me in overcoming it or at least significantly reducing this occurence.
Thanks in advance for your help :smile:

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Well, two things. One, sometimes it just takes a little time for the post-workout hunger to kick in. Two, you don't actually gain fitness DURING your workouts--you get stronger and more fit during recovery periods in between, while your body is rebuilding. Perhaps that's when your body, in particular, says, "Okay, now we need the calories to do our job." (Instead of the more normal, WHERE DID ALL THE SUGAR GO GIVE IT TO ME NOWWWWWW)

For me it is different depending on the type of exercise, as well as the intensity. I don't know how to explain that.

But I totally sympathize. I describe it as "eating the house. No, not everything IN the house. The actual house."
  • Tionne31
    Tionne31 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well, two things. One, sometimes it just takes a little time for the post-workout hunger to kick in. Two, you don't actually gain fitness DURING your workouts--you get stronger and more fit during recovery periods in between, while your body is rebuilding. Perhaps that's when your body, in particular, says, "Okay, now we need the calories to do our job." (Instead of the more normal, WHERE DID ALL THE SUGAR GO GIVE IT TO ME NOWWWWWW)

For me it is different depending on the type of exercise, as well as the intensity. I don't know how to explain that.

But I totally sympathize. I describe it as "eating the house. No, not everything IN the house. The actual house."

ROTFLIS @ EATING THE HOUSE!!! I never looked at it that way it makes sense to me reading it, thanks for sharing.
  • chriszyogi
    chriszyogi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too am ravenous on my non workout days. Using this food tracker will hopefully keep me from over doing it. And aware.... it's probably the body replenishing it's stores for your next workout or lion hunt.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For a lot of us, workouts actually have an appetite suppressing effect (especially cardio) and can be a big part of your issue. Aside from that, a lot of the time people take a rest day on Sunday or another day when they aren't busy and want to really rest... so they get bored and start wanting to snack.

Try scheduling your rest day on a day you have work/school or social committments to keep you busy, stay hydrated, and if that doesn't work, consider upping your calories.

In fact, some of my online clients have their highest calorie days on their rest days to facilitate recovery and keep them from eating everything but the kitchen sink. ;)
  • Tionne31
    Tionne31 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    JossFit wrote: »
    For a lot of us, workouts actually have an appetite suppressing effect (especially cardio) and can be a big part of your issue. Aside from that, a lot of the time people take a rest day on Sunday or another day when they aren't busy and want to really rest... so they get bored and start wanting to snack.

Try scheduling your rest day on a day you have work/school or social committments to keep you busy, stay hydrated, and if that doesn't work, consider upping your calories.

In fact, some of my online clients have their highest calorie days on their rest days to facilitate recovery and keep them from eating everything but the kitchen sink. ;)

THANKS JossFit!!! I like that idea a lot and will incorporate it into my regimen moving forward.