Does water wash away burned fat? Will it build up?

Options
I felt sick after losing some weight after almost a week. I was drinking the same water I drank when I wasn't losing weight. Did I feel sick because I needed extra water to wash away the buned fat?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    say-what17.gif
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    hunh?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    dowhatnow?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're drinking "fire water" right now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Drinking Water does not wash away fat... if that's what you're asking???
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    No.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ummm

v8ccqht.jpg

Chances are that you were dehydrated and nothing more.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Water will keep you hydrated, but it doesn't wash away any burned fat - that's not how this works. There's no 'burned fat' floating around your body.

You may be less hydrated if you have been consuming less food with a higher water content, in which case some extra water isn't a bad idea. Dehydration may have made you feel a little under the weather but there could be a myriad of reasons you don't feel well. A quick test, I suppose is - do you feel better when you drink more water?

Either way, drink more water if you want/need to or if it makes you feel better, but not washing away burned fat is not why you're feeling ill.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I keep trying to type an answer to this but then I go back and erase.

You do not have fat ash or burned fat debris or anything like that needing to be flushed out. When people say that fat is burned, they mean it is used as energy to fuel your body. It's a figure of speech.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    But... water...

for things that burn...

:open_mouth:

JK!! :laugh:

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Most "burned" fat is expelled as carbon dioxide when you exhale. That's where the fat "goes".
  • tbfincher
    tbfincher Posts: 32
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I felt sick after losing some weight after almost a week. I was drinking the same water I drank when I wasn't losing weight. Did I feel sick because I needed extra water to wash away the buned fat?

I think you're confused on how losing weight actually works. However, I will support your contention that burning fat does require more water, and here's why.

Under normal daily circumstances our body pulls the glucose it needs for energy from carbohydrates. The liver, being the awesome organ it is, takes any excess glucose we haven't used and converts it to glycogen to be stored for use later. As the blood sugar starts to decrease and the body needs fuel, a process called Glycogenesis occurs where the liver takes that glycogen it created earlier and breaks it back down into glucose for the body to use.

Now, when the body runs out of glycogen stores and there is no new fuel coming into the body in the form of carbohydrates, then its failsafe mechanism is to begin breaking up the fat cells for energy, this process is called Ketosis. The reason it's called Ketosis is because as fat breaks down it creates a byproduct called Ketones, these Ketones have a pH level below 7.35, which is the body's natural pH level, when too much fat starts breaking down and more Ketones are released into the body it can lead to a condition called Ketoacidosis due to the pH imblance created. Any diabetic who has ever had a Hyperglycemic episode can attest to what this does to their body. One of the symptoms is increased urination, this is where your water intake comes into play. If you fail to properly rehydrate yourself, then your body is unable to filter and dispose of the excess Ketones through urination. This can lead to light headedness and a feeling of nausea.

So, long story short... While water doesn't "wash away fat" it is needed in higher amounts than you were previously taking before dieting in order to help filter the by products created from burning fat.

• Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, they've explained well enough that you don't need to worry about consuming water to flush away "burnt fat" because there is no accumulation of burnt fat in your body.

With that said, maybe we can help you figure out why you weren't feeling well after a period of losing weight. Were your calories too low? Were you exercising excessively without re-hydrating? Can you open up your diary?

• jodielarms
    jodielarms Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Fat cells never go away. They shrink, but once they're formed theyre there forever. I guess the exception would be if you had a procedure like lipo done, then you lose fat cells. Drink all the water you like...but you will still have the fat.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OP, drink more water. It won't "wash away fat" but it will keep your body hydrated and running more efficiently.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    Most "burned" fat is expelled as carbon dioxide when you exhale. That's where the fat "goes".

Yeah, this. I'm still confused, but yeah, this.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    say-what-reaction-animated-gif.gif
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I really wish water flushed away my fat:-(
This discussion has been closed.