Calories burned at gym

Options
How many calories do you burn at the gym?

Replies

• MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It depends. I track my activity with a HRM and usually get at around 400 calories for 45 minutes of cardio. I also usually do anywhere between 20-40 minutes of strength training, but don't track those as calories burned.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I burn 300 - 400 calories at the gym. Plus, I work at a treadmill desk at work for 2 to 3 hours a day, so I burn an additional 200 - 300 calories while I work!
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    That's too vague of a question. Depends what you do at the gym
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Well. I've been focusing on walking 5 miles most days. I don't have a HRM, but treadmill calorie counter usually reads anywhere from 1300- 1600 when I'm done. It depends on how I walk those 5 miles. Sometimes I focus more on speed than incline and vice versa. So at the end of the day, I document half of the reading as my calories burned.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Well. I've been focusing on walking 5 miles most days. I don't have a HRM, but treadmill calorie counter usually reads anywhere from 1300- 1600 when I'm done. It depends on how I walk those 5 miles. Sometimes I focus more on speed than incline and vice versa. So at the end of the day, I document half of the reading as my calories burned.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I don't know.
  • Robbnva
    Options

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

Idk how accurate this is, unless heart rate monitors are giving wrong info also
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you burn at the gym?

This is incredibly vague...your calorie burn is going to depend largely on your own personal stats as well as the intensity and duration of your workout.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »

Idk how accurate this is, unless heart rate monitors are giving wrong info also

HRMs aren't really good for a lot of walking activities based on their programming. Many of them also report gross, not net, calories. Those flaws are more evident on the lower end models that so many on MFP use because those models don't account for things like VO2 max, lactate threshold heart rate, a true heart rate reserve, etc ... just height, weight, age, and HR don't cover the necessary bases to more accurately estimate caloric burn.
  • llUndecidedll
    edited January 2015
    Options

I understand that if I was just walking 5 miles outside or with 1 or 2% incline, I would probably only burn about 250 calories, but since I'm walking with the incline at 10%, don't you think I burn significantly more calories?

For example, my last workout I walked 5.5 miles at 3mph. About 4.8 of those miles were spent walking at a 10% incline [arms pumping the entire time] which was tough for me at 5'6, 230 lbs, really out of shape. The total calorie burn given by the treadmill was about 1450 calories. Since I know machines exaggerate the calories burned and don't show the NCB as the article says, am I really that off by inputting half of that amount?

• brianpperkins
    Options
    10% inclines are in the range of doubling caloric burn compared to flat ground according to studies.
  • Robbnva
    Options

I understand that if I was just walking 5 miles outside or with 1 or 2% incline, I would probably only burn about 250 calories, but since I'm walking with the incline at 10%, don't you think I burn significantly more calories?

For example, my last workout I walked 5.5 miles at 3mph. About 4.8 of those miles were spent walking at a 10% incline [arms pumping the entire time] which was tough for me at 5'6, 230 lbs, really out of shape. The total calorie burn given by the treadmill was about 1450 calories. Since I know machines exaggerate the calories burned and don't show the NCB as the article says, am I really that off by inputting half of that amount?

Your calves must be amazing. I just walked at 4% and they are sore
  • llUndecidedll
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »

Your calves must be amazing. I just walked at 4% and they are sore

Well, I've had huge calves for as long as I can remember. My calf circumference
    is about 17.75 inches. I remember when it was difficult for me to walk above a 2% incline.
    10% inclines are in the range of doubling caloric burn compared to flat ground according to studies.

So I maybe burned about 500 calories then. I will go with that. Better safe than sorry.