Bloating :(

Options
jnv7594
jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I went to my doctor earlier this week, and explained what was going on. He seemed to think it's IBS, but I'm not so sure. I've had IBS for years and have never had anything like this with it. I told him this, but of course, he thinks it's related to my change in diet even though I changed my eating months ago. Anyone have any problems with bloating? I've been doing this since August, and have had no major food changes recently. But about a month ago I started having problems with bloating, sometimes painful. I'm fine in the morning. It usually hits after lunch in the afternoon and then gets worse in the evening. It's in my middle/lower abdomen. The next morning I'm always fine. It just goes away overnight, but then it builds again in the later part of the day. Just curious what your experience is. Wondering if I should get a second opinion.

Replies

• dimeda78
    dimeda78 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have you tried probiotics or digestive enzymes?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    How often does this happen? Is it gas? How's your sodium intake?
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Do you have to sit at a desk all day? When I had an office job I needed an afternoon walk to get rid of the bloat.
  • jnv7594
    Options
    I would also go see the obgyn

I was thinking the same. That might be my next stop. My doctor didn't think it was anything related to my ovaries or anything like that as it subsides overnight and comes back in the evening. He said if it was something serious (i.e. ovarian cancer) the bloat wouldn't subside. I'm going to get it checked out though I think.

• jnv7594
    Options
    dimeda78 wrote: »
    Have you tried probiotics or digestive enzymes?

I eat greek yogurt every day for breakfast. Now the past couple days I've been out, so I've been eating oatmeal, but this has been going on for a month. The yogurt didn't seem to help much when I was eating it. Not sure what else I could try?

• jnv7594
    Options

Lately it's been daily. It is like a bloated gassy feeling. Not to be gross, lol, but kind of like I have to pass gas but can't. My sodium varies. Some days it's a bit high, others it's below the max level. I'll be the first to admit I'm a sodium hound. But I have been this whole time since I made some changes and started losing weight in August. That's not really something that has changed since this started, so I'm not sure if it's related. Something to think about though. Keeping sodium in check for a while to see if it makes a difference might help.

• jnv7594
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    Do you have to sit at a desk all day? When I had an office job I needed an afternoon walk to get rid of the bloat.

I do have an office job, but I'm up moving around quite a bit. Busy office. :) Don't get much time to sit.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »

Lately it's been daily. It is like a bloated gassy feeling. Not to be gross, lol, but kind of like I have to pass gas but can't. My sodium varies. Some days it's a bit high, others it's below the max level. I'll be the first to admit I'm a sodium hound. But I have been this whole time since I made some changes and started losing weight in August. That's not really something that has changed since this started, so I'm not sure if it's related. Something to think about though. Keeping sodium in check for a while to see if it makes a difference might help.

I've become super sensitive to sodium over the past few months. And every time I overdo it (and now, overdoing it is still below my MFP goals), I get really bloated and gassy. It's miserable. I do heating pads, gasx and lots of water.

It's worth a visit to your gyn though, just to be safe.
  • jnv7594
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »

I've become super sensitive to sodium over the past few months. And every time I overdo it (and now, overdoing it is still below my MFP goals), I get really bloated and gassy. It's miserable. I do heating pads, gasx and lots of water.

It's worth a visit to your gyn though, just to be safe.

That's pretty much how I feel, and it is miserable. I think I will try reducing the sodium and getting a second opinion from my gynecologist. Thanks. :)

• Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Might be allergic to lactose (milk products). I have those symptoms when I get a hold of milk products. Not fun. Might try taking it out of your diet for a few weeks and see what happens. The reason I suggest this is that you have yogurt in the mornings. That would cause me problems due to the lactose. Also get a hold of a good probiotic...ask at a health food.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Not for nothing, but any chance you might be pregnant?
  • angeladawnwright
    Options
    I have the same problem. Wake up fine but after I eat my stomach bloats. By the evening I look 6 months pregnant. Some days are worse then others when it comes to pressure and gas. I had my gal bladder removed a couple of years ago and the bloat and pain went a way for awhile but now its back. I am at a loss of what to do also.
  • jnv7594
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you. :)

• jnv7594
    Options
    jjblogs wrote: »
    Might be allergic to lactose (milk products). I have those symptoms when I get a hold of milk products. Not fun. Might try taking it out of your diet for a few weeks and see what happens. The reason I suggest this is that you have yogurt in the mornings. That would cause me problems due to the lactose. Also get a hold of a good probiotic...ask at a health food.

I've wondered about some sort of intolerance. I usually don't have a problem with dairy products, but I've heard of people developing intolerance later in life. I'm going to rule out anything serious first and then after that hopefully I can narrow it down.
  • jnv7594
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Not for nothing, but any chance you might be pregnant?

Not unless it was through immaculate conception. :D No, I'm not pregnant. :)

• jnv7594
    Options
    I have the same problem. Wake up fine but after I eat my stomach bloats. By the evening I look 6 months pregnant. Some days are worse then others when it comes to pressure and gas. I had my gal bladder removed a couple of years ago and the bloat and pain went a way for awhile but now its back. I am at a loss of what to do also.

That's me too. I'm fine in the morning. It usually doesn't set in until mid afternoon. Had my gallbladder out years ago. It very well could be IBS flare up as my doc says. I'm hoping that's all. I've been under a lot of stress lately too...lots of changes at work. I know that can do funky things to the body.

• KatJ_NZ
    KatJ_NZ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I don't get enough fibre, I find that I look and feel more bloated (things just aren't moving fast enough!)... if I manage 25g a day, that's plenty for me. Just one more thing for you to consider, I guess. Hope you find a solution!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?
  • jnv7594
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Are you pregnant?

No, definitely not pregnant. :)