Juicing,calories and carbs!

Options
While juicing I seem to notice that my carb Count is very high. I am mostly doing green juice with only Apple or pear as fruit as to cut sugar. Is it normal to consume more carbs on a juice diet? Should I be focusing on staying under calorie goal or cutting carbs? I am juicing for breakfast and lunch and having vegetable heavy dinner. Questions Mainly for weight loss purposes to get to goal weight.
Thanks for any info!!!

Replies

• lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need to burn more calories than you eat. Carbs are a big deal only in that they tend to use up a lot of calories for little amounts of food (not really a huge issue with fruits and veggies, mostly starchy things like rice, potatoes, bread etc). If you're wanting to lose weight, calories staying in a deficit is more important than carbs. If you want to make it easier to lose weight, some find cutting carbs to make it easier.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    First of all.... veggies and fruit are carbs, hence why your intake is always high in carbs.

Second, carbs DO NOT MAKE YOU FAT. OVEREATING YOUR CALORIES MAKES YOU FAT.

Third, when people cut weight, they cut CARBS first because protein and fat are essential, where are you can do without carbohydrates. Some people avoid them entirely and live on a high protein / fat diet, but, this is ONLY PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

If you are cutting weight / body fat.... cut CALORIES. I highly doubt you're getting on stage in a show so don't worry about carbs and water retention.

In essence

Less calories = weight loss
    More calories = weight gain

It's that simple.
  • ckcrain671
    ckcrain671 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!
  • CamoGirl1985
    CamoGirl1985 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything martyqueen52 said.... juicing concentrates all the natural sugars in the fruit and veggies while stripping the fiber that keeps you full. When yiu juice, yiu are probably going through pounds of food right? Would you ever be able to eat that much in a sitting? Thats how I think of it when I get tempted to make juice. Try smoothies first where it keeps all the fiber and then switch to eating the whole food instead. You will feel more satisfied and probably be less likely to bust your limit. Hope that helps! :)
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Carbs can contribute to weight gain when you are choosing sugar carbs with no fiber or an overabundance of complex carbs where the net carbs + fat add up past your BMR on a consistent basis over a week.

Protein is not "digestible" per se, protein is used in a completely different manner and to be honest, is never truly stored. Only the associated fat/carb would be stored as energy. I am being simplistic in this description.

Now onto your question - yes and according to posts like CamoGirl1985 - if you ingest carbs without regard for fiber, then you will store the energy as fat as long as that energy has not been depleted in your muscles. Hence - best to juice either before or after a workout - before as an energy boost to keep you going and after to replenish your muscles glycogen levels. Anything else is a waste.

I own a Vitamix and ingest all my fruits with the fiber - that really helps on the net carb front. If you juice without the fiber, you are just ingesting sugar - and at that point, it doesn't matter too much what kind of sugar it is.

Net carbs are sugar - that's simplistic but true.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    That's why juicing doesn't work for weight loss unless your diet was horrible in comparison before you started.

You are getting rid of a lot of good stuff (fiber) and essentially concentrating the carbs. For a lot of us, carbs DO make us fat--it depends on metabolism.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat the fruit. The fiber is good for you in many ways.
    Also, this whole game really is 100% about the calorie deficit.
  • ckcrain671
    Options
    lesteidel wrote: »
    To lose weight you need to burn more calories than you eat. Carbs are a big deal only in that they tend to use up a lot of calories for little amounts of food (not really a huge issue with fruits and veggies, mostly starchy things like rice, potatoes, bread etc). If you're wanting to lose weight, calories staying in a deficit is more important than carbs. If you want to make it easier to lose weight, some find cutting carbs to make it easier.

• ckcrain671
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! All give me something to consider and think about!
  • alonzo15
    alonzo15 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I juice (and LOVE it) for a few reasons: 1) my hair grows like crazy 2) my skin looks super healthy 3) I feel very energetic when I start my day with fresh juice. I believe it's all about calories in and calories out so I log my juice and it fits great into my daily calories.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    First of all.... veggies and fruit are carbs, hence why your intake is always high in carbs.

Second, carbs DO NOT MAKE YOU FAT. OVEREATING YOUR CALORIES MAKES YOU FAT.

Third, when people cut weight, they cut CARBS first because protein and fat are essential, where are you can do without carbohydrates. Some people avoid them entirely and live on a high protein / fat diet, but, this is ONLY PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

If you are cutting weight / body fat.... cut CALORIES. I highly doubt you're getting on stage in a show so don't worry about carbs and water retention.

In essence

Less calories = weight loss
    More calories = weight gain

It's that simple.

This is is a fabulous post.