Why am i sick after eating ranch dressing

Options
Hi - I'm just starting back on my diet after not being on it for a year. so im just beginning, im not even doing what i used to, just trying first to make better food selections and shortly i will record everything. so bear with me please.

i know this may sound stupid, but today i ate a salad made with chicken salad (with mayo) at Potbelly. I then added ranch dressing. I then got nauseated after eating it, not sure if it was too much food or if it were the too thick heavy mayo. Then before i started my diet, i used to get a meatball sandwich with red sauce and jalapenos and cheese on a Italian bread, and again there goes that stomach ache but it would last 5 hours.

so when i eat lighter, like fruit, yogurt, even milk, i am ok, but i am finding "healthy" selections at Potbelly and the deli are really making me sick. not sure if its too much food or what. I notice when i used to eat too greasy/fatty foods, i'd get nautious. what could be causing this? is it that im used to eating what you guys call "clean" food and then when i eat this too fatty food its what it is? or maybe just too much food? its weird but maybe i have shrunk my stomach this month and im just putting in too much food?

does anyone have any idea what this could be? like when you go on a diet and then you pick your old food up, you get sick. Thank you.

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Maybe the employees at Potbelly don't wash their hands.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Your body just gets used to different levels of fat, salt, sugar etc. I find a meal I would have enjoyed a year ago will make me feel ill now.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I think both of you may be right.. you'd think at a restaurant like Potbelly they would be clean.
  • quilt938
    quilt938 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think ranch dressing has msg - you may be sensitive to that. sometimes mayo based stuff makes me feel a little queasy - dairy too - just depends.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing is chock full of MSG. So is Kentucky Fried Chicken, and just about all commercial bouillon and concentrated soup bases. At this point, "Chinese" restaurants are actually low on the list of MSG sources, despite the stereotype.

However, most people are not as sensitive to MSG as they may think they are. It's usually something else about the meal that isn't sitting well.
  • TheresaKnits
    TheresaKnits Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Even the healthy choices at a lot of restaurant can still be much higher in sodium or fat than you're eating at home. Over the years, I've found that food that is very salty or high in fat makes me sick. Chicken salad with extra ranch dressing probably fits both categories.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    hi - thank you all :) I seem to be better eating food like you eat when you have a cold or flu! (lighter food, not greasy) maybe its good because I wont indulge in too heavy food. so far so good :) yes I know about IIFYM