going over

Options
If you go over on your calories one or two days in a week but are under the remaining days does it equal out or should you not go over any days to get the best results?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It equals out.

Think of it like this: You have gone over by 3500 times however pounds you are overweight. If you need to lose 10 lbs, you're 35000 calories over. If you go over your maintenance level by 100 calories, that 35000 calories becomes 35100. But on days when you go under your maintenance level, you subtract from that number. Over time, with continued calorie reduction, that 35000 will reach zero.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I think it's nearly impossible not to have a day where you go over. But yes, if you work so your deficit evens out throughout the week then you will still lose. Actually, many people on here follow their weekly calorie goal rather than their daily one.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My work schedule is such that I sleep all day before I start my row of shifts, that day I tend to be really under as I am sleeping but the following night I eat more the usual (because I'm starving, go figure!). I am still loosing weight because my weeks tend to even out or be under my goals. I find weekly averages are best for me.
  • fayeth1st
    fayeth1st Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have days where I am over but more days where I am in deficit. I've been on MFP for 19 days with only a 1lb wt loss. What am I doing wrong?
    I don't meet my wkly wt goal?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    fayeth1st wrote: »
    I have days where I am over but more days where I am in deficit. I've been on MFP for 19 days with only a 1lb wt loss. What am I doing wrong?

Can you open your diary? Do you weigh or measure your food?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    fayeth1st wrote: »

People typically underestimate how much they are eating and overestimate their calorie burn. Another possibility is that you didn't set your calorie goal low enough in the first place. It is also possible that you are retaining enough water weight that your fat losses just aren't showing up. But that is very unlikely.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    If you're in a caloric deficit for the week, it evens out. Actually, lots of people use a weekly, instead of daily deficit.
    If you're not losing, check your logging.
  • lisakirt
    lisakirt Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replys I was just so worried that two days eating more than usual would ruin everything..just weighed lost. .2 of a pound for the week..guess that's better than a gain right