Hungry while bulking - am I doing it wrong?

Options
Hi.

i've been on a bulk (400-500 cals over maintenance according to iifym) for a month and gained around 2lbs. I do actually struggle to stay to my calorie target (3300/day) as i often feel quite hungry. Should I stick to what calculators tell me or go by how i feel? I have stuck to my 3300cals so far as i don't want to gain more fat than necessary while on the bulk. I don't have a hugely active job - either at a desk or out driving, but do work from 4.30am up to 8.pm - maybe iifym doesnt take this into account? i have selected 6 workouts/week on their calculator as this is the amount i usually do per week, so in theory i should maintain at around 2850cals.?

Replies

• watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You will have to monitor what your weight does and adjust based on that. I wouldn't use hunger as an indicator of whether you are eating enough. I was always hungry (and ate) when I bulked and I got pretty fat.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    If you've gained 2lb in a month then you're eating 250 calories over maintenance per day, maybe less. Congratulations on finding your maintenance figure for your current weight (-259). 2lb is 7000 extra calories divided by 4 weeks=1750 divided by 7 is 250.
    Looks like maintenance is 3050.
    Try bulking on 3550, and bear in mind to recalculate as you get heavier, every 5lb or so.

Make sure you're weighing everyday and getting a seven day rolling average, as weight can fluctuate wildly. My calculations are based on my presumption that this is an actual 2lb gain, not a one off weigh in.
  • jsteckler30
    Options
    .5 lbs a week is good build lean muscle while eating healthy. In 28 weeks I put on 18 lbs and maybe 2% body fat. 177-195. Eat clean and eat often and train hard. You feel hungry? Grab a shake or some rice and chicken.
  • leanmuscleway
    leanmuscleway Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you've gained 2lb in a month then you're eating 250 calories over maintenance per day, maybe less. Congratulations on finding your maintenance figure for your current weight (-259). 2lb is 7000 extra calories divided by 4 weeks=1750 divided by 7 is 250.
    Try bulking on 3550, and bear in mind to recalculate as you get heavier, every 5lb or so.

Make sure you're weighing everyday and getting a seven day rolling average, as weight can fluctuate wildly. My calculations are based on my presumption that this is an actual 2lb gain, not a one off weigh in.

thanks very much. I will up my calories to 3550. On weight i aim to weigh once a day but have missed a few days. If i take the last 7 days which were consecutive it looks like this:
  • leanmuscleway
    Options
    the 3 weeks before that i started at 183lbs and it fluctuated up to 185lbs but didnt stay there for more than a day.
  • Springfield1970
    Options

thanks very much. I will up my calories to 3550. On weight i aim to weigh once a day but have missed a few days. If i take the last 7 days which were consecutive it looks like this:

cool. Well i'd add em up and divide by 7 to get my average and plot it on a graph, every week, with your net AND gross calorie intake next to it. It's good to keep records. Especially when you're working to a timeline, ie summer hot body, or a race or competition.

It's the only way to really know the truth.

• Springfield1970
    edited January 2015
    Options
    .5 lbs a week is good build lean muscle while eating healthy. In 28 weeks I put on 18 lbs and maybe 2% body fat. 177-195. Eat clean and eat often and train hard. You feel hungry? Grab a shake or some rice and chicken.

Eating clean has nothing to do with it. Just make sure you're eating .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight, .35g of fat per pound of body weight, and fill the rest with carbs, complex, slow, fast any kind!

Most of us bulkers have bulked clean eating every kind of food as long as we tick our macro and micro box first.

• leanmuscleway
    Options
    thanks Springfield
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Eating clean has nothing to do with it. Just make sure you're eating .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight, .35g of fat per pound of body weight, and fill the rest with carbs, complex, slow, fast any kind!

Most of us bulkers have bulked clean eating every kind of food as long as we tick our macro and micro box first.

Completely agree with your posts but one small point for the OP in his situation: if he is happy with his speed of bulking and feels hungry he might want to eat more bro foods to feel fuller rather than eating more. It will depend on his goals and how he feels about his current progress.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Could be he needs more fat? That always satiates the appetite better than fibre.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Could be he needs more fat? That always satiates the appetite better than fibre.

Low fat consumption is often the problem a lot of people seem to have so it might be the solution.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

beat me to it ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - how much fat are you getting per day? what is your current macro split?
  • leanmuscleway
    Options
    I would love to have more fat (peanut butter, red meat always seem to take me to my limit). my split is currently 50% carbs, 25% 25% so i usually eat around 80 - 90g fat a day.
  • leanmuscleway
    Options
    Now i have increased my calorie target to 3500 fat 'allowance' is now 97g/day. Today for example i am over it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Now i have increased my calorie target to 3500 fat 'allowance' is now 97g/day. Today for example i am over it.

Don't worry about your splits so much as your calories and getting full on them. You will hit your minimum requirements just by having a balanced diet but if you box yourself into the thought pattern of "I must have x/y/z macros" then you are going to find yourself searching to fit foods in rather than just getting foods that will satisfy you. As long as you make the min fat and protein grams don't worry.

ETA oh and about 45g of fiber should be good.
  • leanmuscleway
    Options
    Ok - thats helpful and a new view to me. I'm often a bit over protein, just under carbs and try not go over on fat but I'll aim now to jus tnot be under any of them.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    ...he might want to eat more bro foods...
    Hey Wheels... I'm still kind of new to this internet subculture of bb... but what the heck is "bro food?"
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Ok - thats helpful and a new view to me. I'm often a bit over protein, just under carbs and try not go over on fat but I'll aim now to jus tnot be under any of them.

That should help you a lot; keep us posted.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ...he might want to eat more bro foods...
    Hey Wheels... I'm still kind of new to this internet subculture of bb... but what the heck is "bro food?"
    Oh hey, I can't read comprehension...