Will DIET sodas cause me to gain weight?

Options

Replies

• Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I believe that you may see the scale increase when you drink diet soda. But, that would be because of the liquid you have taken in plus keep in mind that diet soda is high in sodium and sodium causes water retention. However, I do not believe that diet soda will cause actual weight gain, mostly just water retention.

Pop is not high in sodium... there is like 40mg of sodium in a can.

OP, diet pop will not cause you to gain weight. It is 0 calories. You only gain weight (fat) by eating more than your TDEE.

I don't understand how people think its high in sodium, Hasn't anyone read the back of a can!
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    OP: " I'm asking if the soda contains 0 calories will and I drink bottles of it will I gain weight?"
    I believe that you may see the scale increase when you drink diet soda. But, that would be because of the liquid you have taken in plus keep in mind that diet soda is high in sodium and sodium causes water retention. However, I do not believe that diet soda will cause actual weight gain, mostly just water retention.
    Pop is not high in sodium... there is like 40mg of sodium in a can.

OP, diet pop will not cause you to gain weight. It is 0 calories. You only gain weight (fat) by eating more than your TDEE.
    A can is not a lot of sodium, that is correct, thisismeraw. However, I think Brendajo510 interpreted OP quetion (quoted above) the same way I did. That is, multiple 2 liter bottles a day. 40 mg/can is not a lot. 240 mg/2 liter, however, is significant. And multiple 2 liters could EASILY result in having little to no sodium available for the day.

Granted the caffeine in the soda, along with the volume of fluid, can help flush that salt out. The phosphoric acid can errode tooth enamel. Artificial sweeteners have been linked to a number of health problems. Etc. But if the OP really was talking about diet soda in those kinds of quantities, I think most of us would agree that it certainly isn't doing anything to HELP weight-loss, nor would it be a particularly "healthy" thing to do.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    yes
    Diet soda might not help you stay trim after all, new research suggests.

And killing turkeys is associated with the onset of Winter.

A study presented at a American Diabetes Association meeting this week shows that drinking diet soda is associated with a wider waist in humans. And a second study shows that aspartame -- an artificial sweetener in diet soda -- actually raises blood sugar in mice prone to diabetes.

When the ingest the human equivalent of 10 lbs of aspartame.
    what makes you think I wont eat 10 lbs of it? you challenging me?

Yes, yes I am.
  • maryrosenavoa
    maryrosenavoa Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    oh it doesn't matter if it's diet soda ... u should go for water:D
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    oh it doesn't matter if it's diet soda ... u should go for water:D
    Why? They both hydrate the same.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    yes

A study presented at a American Diabetes Association meeting this week shows that drinking diet soda is associated with a wider waist in humans....
    Correlation =/= causation.

I see a lot of fat people on treadmills; therefore, treadmills are associated with being fat. Causation, or correlation?

The answer to OP's question is no. Weight gain comes from caloric surplus, not drinking diet soda.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    yes

A study presented at a American Diabetes Association meeting this week shows that drinking diet soda is associated with a wider waist in humans....

I see a lot of fat people on treadmills; therefore, treadmills are associated with being fat. Causation, or correlation?

The answer to OP's question is no. Weight gain comes from caloric surplus, not drinking diet soda.
    Your just making sense..............again.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    No.

/end thread
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 80lbs and drink diet sodas every day. Wish I could kick the habbit and only drink water.
  • dsakpa
    dsakpa Posts: 1
    Options
    Weight gain, by themselves no. Cause and effect, studies seem to be showing that they may indeed be bad. Not only bad in the sense that they make you "crave" sweets, the artificial sweeteners are now linked to possibly causing additional health risks. Specifics are yet to be proven, such as joint pain, headaches, mood issues, sluggishness, etc. That all said, you do need water for your health and you don't need soda, well unless you have corrosion on your car battery, then soda comes in handy to eat away at all that gunk.
  • meandmyface
    meandmyface Posts: 328
    Options
    Everything in moderation, I used to be a huge diet soda drinker, now I have one between 3-5 times a week, for me I find it's nice to feel like i'm treating myself when it's something that has no calories :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...That all said, you do need water for your health and you don't need soda, well unless you have corrosion on your car battery, then soda comes in handy to eat away at all that gunk.
    Have you ever seen what water did to the Grand Canyon??? Dangerous stuff. It's also used in nuclear reactors. Ugh.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    ...That all said, you do need water for your health and you don't need soda, well unless you have corrosion on your car battery, then soda comes in handy to eat away at all that gunk.
    Have you ever seen what water did to the Grand Canyon??? Dangerous stuff. It's also used in nuclear reactors. Ugh.

LOL! Water also causes drowning and gives people frequent urges to potty.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    yes

Your just making sense..............again.

Yeah stop that!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    Weight gain, by themselves no. Cause and effect, studies seem to be showing that they may indeed be bad. Not only bad in the sense that they make you "crave" sweets, the artificial sweeteners are now linked to possibly causing additional health risks. Specifics are yet to be proven, such as joint pain, headaches, mood issues, sluggishness, etc. That all said, you do need water for your health and you don't need soda, well unless you have corrosion on your car battery, then soda comes in handy to eat away at all that gunk.
    I'm not talking about an increase an appetite or long term weight gain. I'm asking if the soda contains 0 calories will and I drink bottles of it will I gain weight?

Someone didn't read the post.....
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    All this Diet soda talk made me thirsty

b2069216-82fd-48f2-8e0d-29d4cc320b35_zps1d1290ac.jpg
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Gain weight...Yes, BUT MORE Importantly the ph level for soda is about 2 - 2.5. RIGHT in there with battery acid. What a GREAT set-up for Disease.

ETA: So is Gatorade, and the rest of those so called energy and hydration drinks. Even most of the bottled waters are acidic (not as bad as soda, but bad). And just think, Athletes and people drink these things for performance, and all the while they are killing them! WOW!!!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Gain weight...Yes, BUT MORE Importantly the ph level for soda is about 2 - 2.5. RIGHT in there with battery acid. What a GREAT set-up for Disease.

Yes! If you drink that acidic diet soda, it'll go straight to your stomach with acid that has a PH of 2.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Right up there with battery acid? Battery acid has a pH of around 0.5. Most diet sodas have a pH in the vicinity of 3.

So battery acid is over 300 times more acidic than soda.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

ETA: So is Gatorade, and the rest of those so called energy and hydration drinks. Even most of the bottled waters are acidic (not as bad as soda, but bad). And just think, Athletes and people drink these things for performance, and all the while they are killing them! WOW!!!
    The acid is neutralized when consumed out of a tinfoil cup, surprised your source didn't mention that, considering it's common knowledge. As far as the weight gain is concerned, yes, the 0 calories does cause weight gain if we're to stay consistent with that logic.......great post otherwise. :happy: