Are you overtraining?

I have noticed the term "overtraining" being used quite frequently lately. I just came across this article and found it to be a good read with sound information.

http://mollygalbraith.com/2013/05/weekly-reader-question-11-am-i-overtraining/

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Over-training and under-recovering are two aspects of the same thing. That is overloading your body with training stressed faster than it can adapt to them.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Yep, I did that for about a week when I was doing 2-3 workouts a day while also trying to adapt to my first week of ketosis.......it was rough to say the least..
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    I know I am under-recovering, but there will always come those days that you just can't get a workout in for one reason or another, so that off day (or two) will happen, probably all too soon. I'm trying to take advantage of all the free time and gym access that I have right now, because that's going to change in a few weeks. Luckily I am not experiencing symptoms (yet)!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    I have had some over training issues. It seems that all of a sudden, after doing nothing for a long time, or doing something 3 days a week, we now need to do it 6 x3.

This really isn't a race. I know, I've had three surgeries because I didn't know the difference between soreness and pin. Sore is good, pain is bad.

Just my thoughts.gradual changes produce results at a greater rate than pushing it until we get hurt.
  • I think that I'm overtraining. I've been working out every day and when I don't I feel extremely bad. It gets to the point when It affects my sleeping patterns. I feel restless at night and wake up very early in the morning. I also feel tired and a bit dizzy. But I don't want to give up working out ! How do I overcome this ? I'm afraid if I stop working out for a week or so I might get off track since I've just started for a bout 3 months. Plus working out really suppresses my appetite so I have better self-control. I'm a female. My height is 5''2 and my weight is 108 lbs. I really need help !!
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    I think that I'm overtraining. I've been working out every day and when I don't I feel extremely bad. It gets to the point when It affects my sleeping patterns. I feel restless at night and wake up very early in the morning. I also feel tired and a bit dizzy. But I don't want to give up working out ! How do I overcome this ? I'm afraid if I stop working out for a week or so I might get off track since I've just started for a bout 3 months. Plus working out really suppresses my appetite so I have better self-control. I'm a female. My height is 5''2 and my weight is 108 lbs. I really need help !!

See your doctor/talk through your issues hun. Internet strangers aren't going to give you the help you need!