Weight training for beginners / calories burnt

Options
Hi,

I have read that weight training is a good way to lose weight, which is something I think (with the right equipment) could be done at home. I need this as I am currently not burning enough to be in calorie deficit

Please could you give me some suggestions or routine sets/reps I could do to burn as many calories as possible?

My current calorie intake daily is 1340 (is it ok if i drop this by 200)?
Tonight I am spinning (which MFP says is 583 calories burnt)
Difference being 757 calories which suggests to me I need to be doing a hell of alot more work..

Apologies if its vague – again as mentioned before i am very new to this but eager to learn!

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Weight training should not be used as a tool for burning calories to lose weight - you need a calorie deficit for this, most easily achieved through diet. Weight training alone does not burn many calories.

Weight training helps preserve muscle mass to ensure the weight you lose comes mostly from fat.

Also, MFP sets up your weight loss calorie goal so that you would lose weight even if you do not exercise. When you work out you are credited with extra calories (exercise requires fuel). So for today your goal should be 1340 + 583 for spinning = 1923. As calorie burns are inaccurate it's usually advised to eat 50-75% of these extra calories, e.g. you should aim for a total food intake of around 1600-1700 calories.
  • smjpk03lk
    Options
    Weight training should not be used as a tool for burning calories to lose weight - you need a calorie deficit for this, most easily achieved through diet. Weight training alone does not burn many calories.

Weight training helps preserve muscle mass to ensure the weight you lose comes mostly from fat.

Also, MFP sets up your weight loss calorie goal so that you would lose weight even if you do not exercise. When you work out you are credited with extra calories (exercise requires fuel). So for today your goal should be 1340 + 583 for spinning = 1923. As calorie burns are inaccurate it's usually advised to eat 50-75% of these extra calories, e.g. you should aim for a total food intake of around 1600-1700 calories.

and to be in calorie deficit I need to be burning more than I am eating correct?

thanks re the weights

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    smjpk03lk wrote: »

and to be in calorie deficit I need to be burning more than I am eating correct?

Yes, but this does not mean just the calories you burn by exercise - it's all the calories your body uses in a day, which is the sum of the following:

BMR + NEAT + TEF + Exercise = Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE)

Where:

BMR - Basal metabolic rate (the calories your body uses just to stay alive).

NEAT - non-exercise activity thermogenesis (the calories you burn going about your daily business, e.g. shopping, chores, work, cooking, etc.).

TEF - Thermic Effect of Feeding (the calories you burn digesting food).

Exercise - the calories burned by exercise.

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I had a similar question because I've been doing "strength training" during the day at work -- bodyweight squats, walking lunges, pushups off the desk (I can't do floor pushups yet!), gallon jug rows, that sort of thing. Just fitting it in during the odd free moments.

I thought that it probably wasn't burning very many calories but I wasn't quite sure what it *was* doing, re: calories.

Thanks for that very nice explanation!