I Sabotage Myself !

Options
Does anyone else do this ?
Knowing I'm going to blow my calories for the day, I just keep eating crap and saying "Oh I will worry about burning it off later"

I have a ton of stress and huge lack of sleep in my life which i think my be a contributing factor to me keeping mentally strong. Oh and also the my job keeps a fully stocked kitchen of free snacks and soda.

Has anyone stopped sabotaging themselves ?
Thanks !!

Replies

• moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It comes down to motivation. What we want more. You can do this! ;)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    All I know to do is to just stop doing it.
  • rebeccabecht9
    rebeccabecht9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make one good choice or change! That seems to help me to make a second good choice and so on. I personally have to take small steps or I sabotage as well. I lost 20 pds in a year, then put them back on in 6 months - seeking to stop the self sabotage as well!! Good luck and never give up
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys ! All good points !
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people here say they have success with pre-logging their days. They plan out exactly what they're going to eat. Then, when hungry, you simply reach for what you've already accounted for. Maybe that would work for you?

I too got myself into trouble thinking I could burn off ALL the calories, but in my case, it was more that I'd work out to "earn" them (just...not earning as many as I thought). Careful logging has kept me honest about the amount I'm eating during my post workout stuffyourmouth-fests.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Break the cycle. Get out of the habit.

Avoid snacking at work one day. When you want to go to the kitchen, figure out something else to do. Go fill up your water bottle. Go for a walk. Go chat with a friend. Find something else to do besides going into the kitchen.

After you have success one day. Try it again. And again. Eventually you will break that habit.

Here's more details on how to break that habit:
    https://experiencelife.com/article/the-power-of-habit/
  • mvshant
    mvshant Posts: 15
    Options
    i agree with cheshirecatast... if i dont plan my day and at least have some sort of idea what i am going to eat, i will slip up. i think, for me, its because i am still new at doing this. i never had to diet until i had surgery. Now i just look at food and gain weight. its a huge pain in the *kitten*, tracking and planning, but it does work. i fell of the wagon this past week and finally had to just fast for a day to get my mind back on track. I think the biggest thing is excepting this is not a win or fail deal, this is a way of life and its ok to fall of the wagon as long as you get back on and have more good days then bad days in order to get to a healthy weight. Good luck and thanks everyone that posts on here. Sometimes when i feel myself wanting to slip up, i get on here and read posts.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    cracked.com/blog/5-ways-youre-sabotaging-your-own-life-without-knowing-it/

Good article. Lots of really great tips in between the humour.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I pre-log the entire day every morning. I will prepare snacks and lay it out for me to grab when I am hungry. If for some reason I got busy and did not eat it I just deleted it and perhaps moved the calories to after my dinner (I may have a sweet treat after dinner).

• kellyswanholm
    kellyswanholm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    cracked.com/blog/5-ways-youre-sabotaging-your-own-life-without-knowing-it/

Good article. Lots of really great tips in between the humour.

Great link/article! :)
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I am my own nemesis. I'm in this same cycle right now. Like rebeccabecht9 above, pick one good change/habit to focus on. You'll gain will power with each day that passes as you make that change a habit. Baby steps will get you there.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    By 'stopping sabotaging themselves' do you mean 'stop using pathetic excuses'?

You either want to do this or you don't. Pick one.

Blaming others for sabotaging their success is more in the pathetic excuses category in my book.

• tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    By 'stopping sabotaging themselves' do you mean 'stop using pathetic excuses'?

You either want to do this or you don't. Pick one.

I was constantly "sabotaging myself" even though I "wanted" weight loss, until I treated my depression and anxiety. If you truly can't control yourself there may be an underlying reason you need to identify and treat.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    chatal36 wrote: »
    Knowing I'm going to blow my calories for the day, I just keep eating crap and saying "Oh I will worry about burning it off later"
    You need to let go of the need to be perfect. That's never going to happen. If you give yourself permission to go all out any time you go over a little, you won't make any progress. You'll lose weight when you start stringing together a lot of "pretty good" days in a row.
  • nicolaferris420
    nicolaferris420 Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I pre-log the entire day every morning. I will prepare snacks and lay it out for me to grab when I am hungry. If for some reason I got busy and did not eat it I just deleted it and perhaps moved the calories to after my dinner (I may have a sweet treat after dinner).
    I like this idea and am stealing it
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks ! Im going to try alot harder to pre plan my days. I'm doing a bit better with resisting my snacks and Im going to read that article now !
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people here say they have success with pre-logging their days. They plan out exactly what they're going to eat. Then, when hungry, you simply reach for what you've already accounted for. Maybe that would work for you?

This. I pre-log my day in the morning (or the evening before when I cook lunch for the next day, I will log that already). I plan out my day so I can look at the calories and macros and can adjust snacks if necessary (so much easier to swap things that you haven't eaten yet *lol*). Works well for me so far. Good luck!